1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What flatwounds do you prefer???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrFunkenstien, Apr 11, 2021.

1. DrFunkenstien

DrFunkenstien

Mar 11, 2021
    NJ/NYC
    I've been using GHS Precision Flats on my American Professional P bass for the past couple years. I like the feel and tone, but want to try something different. Any suggestions? What flats do you like on your p bass?

teej likes this.
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    When I use flats I go between TI Jazz Flats and LaBella DTF 760FS. It depends on the sound I’m want achieve. The TIs are the more versatile of the two in my opinion.

3. Portamenti

Portamenti

Jan 2, 2021
    DR Legends for me. They feel like Chromes but sound better out of the box. And they’re just a litttttle more flexible under my fingers

Low8, stratovani, Murch and 1 other person like this.
  4. DrFunkenstien

DrFunkenstien

Mar 11, 2021
    NJ/NYC
    It seems like people either love or hate TIs, makes me reluctant to dish out the price. In your opinion, what are the key distinctions between the TI and the LaBellas you mentioned?

Yellow Bang66 likes this.
  5. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    LaBella Low Tension Flexible Flats Screenshot_20210411-130508.png

6. DrFunkenstien

DrFunkenstien

Mar 11, 2021
    NJ/NYC
    I had been leaning towards chromes before posting, heard they are a little brighter than other flats, but also really stiff. Glad to know the DR legends have more give out of the box. I love DR for their rounds, I keep on my jazz bass, maybe worth trying a pair of their flats too.

Portamenti likes this.
  7. Portamenti

Portamenti

Jan 2, 2021
    I found them a little looser than chromes, but in the ballpark. Definitely more roundwound sounding than the chromes. Just enough bounce in them for my ears

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Since I've discovered these, I seldom think about flatwounds.
    I have these on four of my basses. Photo-Collage-20210411-140252565.jpg

bobba66 likes this.
  9. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    The caveat is that this is my experience only. I play Fender P basses through a Fender Rumble 100. I've also played through various Ampeg SS combos and PAs.

Fender 9050 flats are great but they have a lot of kids. They are very bright and clacky for the first 2 months then they mellow out. Not a great fit for a P bass because it already has a lot of mids. Of course you can scoop the EQ on your amp to gain clarity. Very smooth feel. I use the 9050ML - 50 70 85 100 gauge.

Chromes are a better fit for a P because they are scooped in the mids so they EQ around the P. Useful high end that can be rolled out with the Tone knob or EQed out on the amp. Somehow slightly rougher feel than the Fender 9050s. Similar tension and stiffness.

10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I didn’t like chromes when I tired them.
    A well broken in set of TI Flats is what I like on A rosewood fretboard Precision Bass.

I use Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats on my American Geddy Lee. With the exception of the G sting which keeps a roundwound.

20GLJazz and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    The TIs are more flexible but not horribly so, more like a set of round core round wound strings. Sound-wise the TIs are more mid forward and quite musical with less bottom while the LaBellas are deeper and have more thump and are more traditional sounding. Definitely part of the 60s and 70s soundscape. Both are excellent it just depends on which sound you want.

hieronymous, REV, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  12. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    TI Jazz Flats for life.
    (Seriously that’s how long they last.)

13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I used to use TI Flats and then Chromes But now I really like Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats Feel nice n Smooth and have decent thump but still much more articulate than most flats. Follow the instructions for installing . I have never broken one of these strings while many others that say the way you install them makes no difference have broken many.

TC424, Ryno1330, MAXSPINRUN and 2 others like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I like TI Jazz Flats. I have them on a P, a J, a semi hollow. I think in most applications they are my favorite. If I only had 1 bass and 1 set it would be this.

I use LaBella DTB on a fretless, I like them a lot too. They are a little deeper/thicker sounding to me but a little higher tension. I like Chromes too but they honestly sound like dropping silverware for the first few days, then they suddenly become deep and full like magic. If you like a stiffer feeling string you can't go wrong with them.

I also use DR Hi Beams on EBMM Sabre and Ray so God won't smite me, let that lion roar!

andare likes this.
  15. DrFunkenstien

DrFunkenstien

Mar 11, 2021
    NJ/NYC
    I’m a sucker for peer pressure. I might have to give the TI jazz flats another look.

Winton, GlenParks, GroovyBaby and 3 others like this.
  16. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    I have been trying flats lately as well, and have been happy with Ernie Ball Cobalt flats. I have them on a Thunderbird, a Jack Casady and a 5 string Jazz. I have been happy with the tone and feel of each of these. I have a set of TI Jazz flats on the way from Fret Nation. I have not used them before, but decided to give them a try. I will likely put them on my 335, as there is something very natural about flats on a semi hollow body bass. Best of luck with your search.

17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are the only flats for me, for the above reason.

non, petch, TC424 and 7 others like this.
  18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Labella Deep Talkin' on my main P for that classic sound. Chromes on other basses for a more "modern", brighter flat.

19. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Labella.

Gets me that Jamerson tone as well as the modern tones in today’s top 40.

GHS comes second and they’re very good at it!

Ernie Ball and Rotosound flats are worthy mentions!

20. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Chromes 40-100. Great sound and feel.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021