What Flatwounds on my Essex P Bass?I want that Motown sound :)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by megatron, Aug 7, 2003.

1. megatron

Jul 9, 2003
    Fender, La Bella? Someone else? I notice strings get very expensive. What should i go with? Im looking for that Motown thumping, yet flat sound.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fenders are plenty thumpy IME. I haven't used the LaBellas, but James Jamerson did. D'Addario Chromes are also pretty deep and thumpy, as are Ernie Ball flats.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried a set of GHS SS flatwounds 105-85-65-45. I got pretty close.

I just put on a set of Labella James Jamerson heavy SS flatwounds, Original 1954, 52-73-95-110. you'll have to adjust your truss rod due to the heavier gauge and increased tension. Great one, lots of thud.

When you first put them on, they'll be a bit bright due to being SS. Once you get a bunch of sweat and mojo on them they'll take on a darker tone (like Jamerson, after he played the same set of strings for years). One of my friends even tried rubbing down the strings with vaseline jelly, then wiping them down, before stringing the bass. It actually did the job!
  4. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    Fender 9050 flat. The heavier the better. These are kind of stiff, but very smooth surface. Best flat out there, IMO. Inexpensive and last forever.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    On a P I like the D'Addario Chromes. TIs are great but too floppy on a 34" bass.
    I've tried the Labella Jamerson set and the tone is as authentic Motown as you can get.But, they are like bridge cables.Very,high tension.