1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What flatwounds should I use on a Rickenbacker 4003s bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by William81, Oct 3, 2020.

1. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    What is the standard string gauge and tension I should be looking to put on the 4003s? Should I be aiming for low tension strings like La bella 760fx extra light tension. This is my first rick and I dont want to mess up the neck, I read that people try to use low tension strings. Thanks!!

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The new-style 4003 truss rods that have been on the basses for quite a number of years now can take any reasonable flats.

However, I prefer OEM flats tone, so I prefer the Optima RB set, which is the spiritual successor re-creation of the OEM Maxima flats of the '60's and '70's.

Optima Strings | RB FLATWOUND BASS | Strings for E-Bass

3. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020

4. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    Welcome to the board and congrats on your new Ric.

Factory string gauges are 45, 55, 75, 105

I just got my 4003 walnut 2 weeks ago. Installed Pyramid Gold chrome-nickel flats, #640 long scale, 40, 55, 75, 105. I'm happy with them.

Do a search on here and google for information.

Root 5, William81 and WillyWonka like this.
  5. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    ^^^pyramid gold^^^

Root 5 and William81 like this.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Optimas are also similar gauges. Remember that tension is a function of mass of the string, not diameter. Because flats have less gaps in the windings than rounds, flats usually have more mass for the given diameter, which results in more tension. The Optimas and the Pyramids have more tension for the same given diameter as the factory rounds. Again, the 4003 truss rods can handle anything reasonable, and these gauges are very reasonable, but whatever set is used, rounds, flats or otherwise, if not the factory OEM set, the truss rods will need a tweak to adjust for the different tension.

woodyng2, William81 and steve_ss like this.
  7. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    Thanks!

8. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    Thanks for the help!

9. I second the Optima RB recommendation. I add the Optima Chrome set too - hex core and slightly larger gauges. Great strings. Pyramid Gold too.

10. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    TI Flats on my '19 4003W, LaBella Low tension flats on my '77 (after 20 year old TI flats finally gave up the ghost)

William81 and Tony In Philly like this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Been digging TI JFs for years on my Ricks. A perfect pairing, IMO+E.

Tony In Philly, uwrossl and redstrand like this.
  12. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Whenever I put TI JF344 flats on a 4003/4003s I find that it gets a bottom end that can't be beat, plus the lack of tension on the neck creates a really fun neck feel to play on. The challenge is to not get too busy.

woodyng2, William81 and Jeff Scott like this.
  13. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    Thanks for the help, i went with the TI JF334 flats cant wait to i get them on!

woodyng2 and Tony In Philly like this.
  14. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I have optima rb,superlight chromes,labella LTFF and some Labella white copper tapes on various Ricks of mine. All are good. The TIs and pyramids represent more the extremes of tension compared to these.
    Ti’s tend to be a bit “limp” for my use, and pyramids exert quite a lot of tension on the neck,which isn’t always desirable. (Well, in my case it’s never desirable!)
    the ti’s do sound great,so hopefully you can get them set up for your playability preference.

Tony In Philly likes this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Hint on the TI JFs: set the action a bit higher than you think it should be and the lower tension will make the bass feel great.

16. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    How do you like the La Bellas?

17. William81

William81

Sep 23, 2020
    I will do that thanks!

18. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    On the old bass, I love them, deep punch, feel great. Neck hasn't moved either, super stable strings

woodyng2 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021