1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What for my T-40?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Nov 22, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've got a custom set of DR Hi Beams on my Ibanez SR506 (30 40 60 80 100 130). It get's all the hi-fi tones and such that I need for slap, down-tuned pickstyle metal, and other things.

My T-40 is wearing a dying set of Hartke nickels. Nothing to write home about, but for $10 with the bass, I couldn't complain. The T-40 is hard to slap with it's pickup placement and all, so I'm not too worried about good slap tone.

I want something that can be bright and aggressive (Hi Beams accel here), but also smooth and mellow with some plucking hand adjustments. I plan on using the T-40 as my main bass for jazz band, as well as also using it in drop D for a metal outfit.

I'm considering something light, but with a hex-core. I normally used D'addario's on my SR506, and the change between nickel to steel, hex to round, and 32-135 to 30-130 made for quite a different feel; had to make some major adjustments to my action.

I need something that'll last a good while, like the Hi-Beams are. I changed out my D'addario's almost every month and a half, which was a bummer for my wallet. I'm considering another custom set of DR's, maybe 40 60 80 110 (for the drop D part), either Sunbeams or nickel Lo Riders.

What other strings should I check out here? Not looking to spend more than $30 on a set, either ordering from my local shop or MusiciansFriend (no JustStrings.com... had major problems with them before, refuse to go back).