Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What four string bass should i get??? PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magoo4stringwiz, May 21, 2002.

1. magoo4stringwiz

magoo4stringwiz

May 21, 2002
    I've been playing bass for a while now, and still have the same bad quality bass. It cost me 170 dollars to buy my 3/4 (im short) size bass. Now I think I'm ready for a normal size bass. I have 300-400 dollar budget for a bass, and need one that sounds good with slapping and a very funky sound, and easy to play. What on earth should I get?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

It sounds like you should get a Bass Guitar. Or, if you really have a line on where to get 3/4 size Double Basses for $170, you should go into business, make a killing on resale, and get several Bass Guitars.

I hate to do this to the mods upstairs, but off to BG.

(Sorry John)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a MIM Fender Jazz. It's under $400 and has plenty of funk. Or, spend a little bit more, and get a lot more bass, an MTD Kingston.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    there you go!:D

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    if you save some money, buy the Deluxe MIM Jazz Bass... For the slap it's awesome ....
    You won't reget it, i advice you to try the Deluxe and the standard which is passive. You 'll see by yourself which one is better for you .

Jazz basses RULES ! :D :D

6. Amen Brothers.

My MIM Jazz Bass only cost me $280 and it was the best buy I ever made. Lately I've been working on my slap/pop and the tone I get from it is swweeeet. You'll get plenty of funk from it.
    And don't get suckered into buying an American made one...although they're of slightly better quality and craftsmanship, the Mexican and Japanese versions are just as good I think.

Although I'll always love my J-Bass, I hope to get me an MM Stingray, a P-Bass, and a Warwick Ashbody that I saw at GC...very sweet axes...I can't wait till my playing actually pays off one day so I can go on a shopping spree like some of the guys here with GAS (Gear Accuisition Syndrome).

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I agree.. MIM Jazz bass would be a great choice IMO.. or like Jeff said.. save a bit more and grab an MTD kingston.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    find an old SSD bass. (really spector)
    the ns-94 is great and you can find it around $400
    they are really great basses. get an acitve on if possible.
    buy used so you can get the most out of your money!

steve

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Booya! Best basses under $1000, bar none (IMO). These things are amazing. Even the 4 strings are awsome bits of machinery. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment...course, I think they are also 35" scale, though, so that might be something to think about...

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A store here in Colorado sells 4-string Kingstons for $379.00 which, in my book, is just a ridiculous deal.

Of course, you have to wade through the sea of mulletheads in the guitar dept (all of whom are playing Van Halen's "Eruption" at full volume) in order to actually get to the basses, but it's worth it. I can dig up the name of that store if you want and they could probably ship you one.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    for $379?!?

steve

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    And let's not count out that if you purchase a Jazz you are leaving the door open to dozens of possible aftermarket upgrades, which could be considered in the future.

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Yep - saw it there this past weekend. Now granted, it was the only one left, but they are a dealer & they'll get more.

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    marshall music is selling them for $320!!
    will they beat the price?

steve

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what store is this?

steve

16. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Dude, at $320.00, why even bother looking to beat the price! ;)

It's some joint up in Fort Collins, CO - something like CenterStage Music or some cheesey name like that. StageFright Music - something.

17. i am also looking for a new bass, been playing for good couple years, time to get rid of my POS squier,

you guys are saying alot of good about MIM fender jazzes, and MTD Kingston basses...

can you tell me pro's/con's of each bass... good badd stuff you know..

im in to rock music, im looking for a deep, mean, thick, growly kind of sound...

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD
    Pro: Two words. Mike Tobias.
    Con: 35" scale isn't comfortable to all.
    Pro: less than 500 new, most places.
    Con: You don't seem to own it.

Did I mention Mike Tobias?

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Fender Standard Jazz Bass.

20. rmerritt

rmerritt

Apr 10, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Get a SJB 62 from Rondomusic. It is priced at less than a third of the Fender MIM jbass and plays and sounds every bit as good. Fender basses are great, but do you really want to pay 3 times as much to have "Fender" on your instrument?

www.rondomusic.com