Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Fretless to BUY?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 6, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Hey.

I definently want a fretless bass. But which one? Not including shipping or tax or whatever, I want to spend 600 or under (U.S. currency.) Any suggestions? I just want something that matches my styles best; jazz, funk, soul, blues, and rock, without breaking the bank and giving me a great bang for my buck. :bassist:

2. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    ya ive been looking for one to so if anyone knows any good cheap ones that would be great

3. get the other $100, and buy a lightwave off of ebay.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Fender Standard Fretless Jazz. You need another 100.

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    +1

Great fretless for the money.....

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The best fretless that I have played in that price range would be a used Warwick Corvette Standard. I own one (and recently sold another one - I got over-eager and bought two!), and it keeps up nicely with my much more expensive instruments. I've actually played a number of more expensive Warwicks, too, and I just like the Corvette Standard. It feels good to my hands, and sounds great.

Tom.

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I loved the MIM Fender fretless jazz bass that I owned.

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There's a black fretless MIJ jazz special on ebay right now that will probably sell in the $450 range...I doubt you'll find anything better for the $$.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I would suggest starting by getting your hands on a few fretless basses and seeing what you do like and don't like. The best bass for the money is the one you are comfortable with, not the one that looks right, or the one that I am comfortable with.

I'm seeing some great deals on fretless Warwicks. I think GC had good prices on them and the used ones are now under $600. I'm not a Warwick fan, but you might be. Certainly the bass won't stop you from playing anything, but buying a bass blindly is a complete dice-roll.

The fact that you list a variety of styles *might* make a 2-pickup bass more useful to you. You could also find that a fretless MusicMan Sabre or a fretless Precision are really good choices.

10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
  11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll be getting a Carvin fretless soon. Played on last weekend and was blown away!! Walnut with an unlined immaculate ebony board.

Will most likely replace the preamp once I get it though.

At any rate they're worth a look. Sure you can't try before you buy but they have a 10 day trial period during which time you can return it if you're not satisfied.

12. 1+ Very good fretless for the price. I liked my very much when I had it. The tone was very very nice.

13. +1
    I'm currently playing a brice sixer that I completely LOVE. Sure, some ppl think I'm cheap or whatever but who cares? I love the bass, and that's what matters most....

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    In that price range, also try a Cort Curbow fretless (you would have some money left over), or a KSD (Ken Smith Designs) jazz.

15. Or the Cort B4FL. Has the same electronics as the Lakland Skyline 55-01's. They play and sound surprisingly good. Price is right too.

If you can catch it in time there's one on ebay going down soon.

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agreed :D

There are several good suggestions here, including the Carvin and Cort Curbow, but these MIJ's are great basses ..... :cool:

17. pedulla buzz is quite nice, you can find a used one for close to what you have budgeted.

18. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    To whom it may concern:

MY PRICE RANGE IS 600 OR UNDER AND THAT IS IT. Unless I am supposed to what another 6 months on top of my already set range. I had a couple of other posts incuiring about a stagg fretless bass.

I do love the Fender Standard Fretless Jazz. Those things have a great tone 2 them. I don't know man, the MIJ's must be pretty good. Anything else out there though? A while back I heard about this fretted/less bass. The top half was fretted and the bottom half wasn't. really stupid in my opinion. I would rather have a double neck bass. Any opinions on that hunk o' crap? Na Na, just kidding, but it does exsist. Just tell me anything you think of.

19. Like others have said, Fender, Carvin, and Cort are worth a look. I'd also recommend looking at a SX Jazz if you want to go really inexpensive. They are good quality and easy to upgrade. The components are on par or above the quality of MIM Fender components, but only cost about $120. This would leave you with about $450 to upgrade/setup/save for amp!

Ibanez also makes some fretless basses that might be worth a look if you're into the Ibanez sound.