What fretless to go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Right, I have £500 to spend on a fretless bass. At the moment I've got a DeArmond Pilot DLX 5. I love it, the way it sounds, feels, everything. Ideally I'd like to get exactly the same bass but swamp ash rather than mahogany and get it defretted at the bass gallery in Camden by the guy who makes Sei basses.

First of all, if I was to do this, would it be up to the standard of a bass that was built fretless? Would it sound as good? Would it feel as good? Any other drawbacks?

I've been keeping an eye out for a pilot dlx fiver for a while now but nothing's come up. Now I have this money I'm thinking I might go for something else.

What's an alternative to the Dearmond? I play funk/soul/jazz/most stuff. I'm not sure whether to look new or secondhand so suggestions for either would be welcome.

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Anyone know what the best 5 string fretless for about £500 is? Best bang for buck? Anyone?
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    No? Ok, cheers anyway.
  4. I would recomend Carvin, I have a six string fretless carvin and love it

£500 = $884.423USD

very good bang for you buck in my opinion, if you can find one used, get it! they are much cheaper used!

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB75 = about $870 with tax and shipping before you add any extra's so thats right in your price range, however im not sure about there shipping to GB