What fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spectorman, Mar 13, 2002.

1. What fretless would you guys recommend, I allready have 2 Spectors, a Warwick Thumb, and an Alembic Signature, all fretted, I can't stand Fenders, i'm looking for something with maximum growl, I used to have a Yamaha marked fretless but could'nt get a tone I was happy with, so gave up. Any help appreciated.
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Why not a Spector/Warwick fretless?
  3. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    Get a Ken Smith fretless J-Bass: 1900 bucks w/case. If I had the dough, that's what I would do without hesitation. The other fretless models, e.g., not J-Bass models, will cost more.

Check out his site:

<a href="http://www.kensmithbasses.com">

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hanewinckel might be up your alley at www.hguitars.com

Good stuff! Malthumb and Dave Grossman can attest. And they look snazzy!
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hanewinkles are KICKERS!!!

zon fretlesses are some of the best around!

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I highly recommend the Pedulla Buzz basses. They are available in 4,5 and 6 string models and are wonderful instruments.

7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Sei, Shuker, Overwater, Status (GB)
    Leduc (!), Vigier, Lag (F)
    BassLab, LeFay, Marleaux, HotWire (D)
    Mayones, Kania (PL)
    Mari, Saldanieri, Frudua (I)
    Ellio Martina, DeGier (NL)
    et al

They're all there! Have fun, be different:cool:
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    As much as I love my fretted Roscoes, in a conversation with Keith Roscoe, he stated he feels his fretted basses are the best instruments he makes (I'll know from personal experience after 28 Mar).
  9. Thanks for all the options guys, but unfortunately non of the Hene's, padulla's. smiths, and the other very nice looking instruments are available to try in Britland. Iv'e checked out the web sites and they do look mega. We only get Warwicks, Fenders, Yamaha, MMs, and the usual mass produced stuff, no chance of a Spector fretless unfortunately. I don't want to order from abroad without trying first, I made that mistake with the Alembic, now i'm stuck with a very expensive bass that i am not impressed with.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Jon Shuker is at least in the same country as you, and his prices are pretty reasonable:

11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Check my sig. :)

But since you're over there. . .I could definitely see a Warwick doing some growl. If you like the Thumb. . .

Although I'd go for the Dolphin, if you can find one.
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Referring to my previous post, there are a few british producers in the same budget region thet you are implying. They should be able to put a bass in your hands to try.
    As will, definitely, BassLab. And I suppose most of the others.
  13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    ...very expensive, and a fairly long lead-time... try these...

there's a review by steve lawson on http://www.intermusic.com - somewhere? try searching for sei -you should find it ok?

i so want a fretless, and i so want a bloody nice one, but i need to get out of my rented house - a mortgage comes first (unfortunatley).
  14. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME

They're in the UK and supposedly the Wal fretless is the Grandpappy of frettlesses. Check out earlier Percy Jones or Brand X stuff. I think John Giblin played one for a while. Mick Karn did.

15. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    heya Spectorman,

why not try the UK made stuff?

Wal, JD, Overwtaer they all seem like high quality stuff and I heard nothing but good things about them.

also if Status makes fretless you should try them too.

and if all else fails, why not buy a czech spector and have a local luthier defret it?
  16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    i didnt know wal were uk made.. cool.

i like the idea of a UK made bass... dunno why... maybe coz so many are US made... makes it kinds speshul i guess?