What fuzz is this song using? Sounds Amazing!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jaroh24, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    Hi I've been trying to figure out what fuzz pedal is being used in the song called "Control" by Vinyl Thief. I know he uses a pbass and a svt4 pro head. If anyone can tell me that would be awesome because I really dig the sound and want to pick one up. Its a tight song too.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like a TAFM or Grey Stache type of fuzz. Not so much a Tall Font Russian type fuzz.

3. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    thanks man! anyone else have any ideas? or is that pretty much it?

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The TAFM might get you in the ballpark.

Very hard to say what was used for fuzz or how it was recorded when going by a studio recording.

But what it DOES sound a bit like to me is the old Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz. It has that same "velcro-like" fuzz tone. The originals are very rare and expensive but there are some clones available like this one or this one which even looks like the Shin-Ei.

The Shin-Ei Companion fuzz can also be heard on these two Radiohead tracks:

Myxomatosis
    Exit Music (For a Film)

The Vinyl Thief fuzz (very cool track BTW) doesn't seem quite as thick in the low end.

Another option that I can think of that would probably work to get you close would be the Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler, one of the new ones with a blend, like this one.

Here's a demo. Check out the tone around 1:05 when he's using it as a gated fuzz.
    http://youtu.be/kZwpV-yVgVc

Of the pedals I currently own I think the Chunk Brown Dog would get me closest to that tone with the gate up fairly high, some clean blended in, fuzz rolled toward the synthy side and on the "hard" setting.

Hope that helps.

5. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    thanks man!

6. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    What about the MXR Deluxe Bass Fuzz? I feel like this pedal could achieve the sound too. Sorry for the bump I'm jus a nooby when it comes to fuzz

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021