1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What fuzzes/Distortions sound good before Tech 21 Bass driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 16, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Interested to hear what results people have found...

2. doubleohnodj

doubleohnodj

Mar 25, 2013
    I found that it really muffles the sound of my fuzz and distortions. If I was using a fuzz on the same board I would turn off the BDDI when I turn the fuzz on.

3. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This. It doesn't play well with fuzz/dirt in my experience. The on-board OD isn't too bad, but if you're looking for grindy OD or doomy fuzz it won't cut it.

4. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Really? I've heard it can do great things to other fuzzes and distortions?

5. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Is the VT bass good for distortions then? Was thinking of getting the VT DI. The blend control looks like it might do what it wants for me. I used to have a VT bass and really liked it but wanted to blend in my clean tone to have a nice 50/50 balance. Anyone had much experience with the VT DI and Distortions/Fuzzes?

6. I have found the opposite, I think it really boils down to what kind of dirt pedals you're using. I've had no luck with a Tri-AC playing well with an Ibanez PD-7 with anything but Clean, and even then it's super noisy, but I've had great luck with the Bass Driver playing with it. Likewise, I've had great luck with the Tri-AC playing well with a Guv'nor overdrive clone, but no luck with the Bass Driver playing well with it. I've had great luck with both and a modified Boss DS-1.

The Drive knob is your best friend. On the Bass Driver, I usually left it at about half or lower when using overdrive with it. However, if you're using the SansAmp without cabinet emulation, I could see how it wouldn't work well at all.

Edit: I think it depends a lot on the bass/cables/pots you use as well. Not all cables are made equal--some are much noisier than others.

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Tubescreamers before the BDDI is instant grindy rock.

It's the basis for my tone.

I find that Muffs with a big scoop don't work do so well for me.

8. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I've never used a BDDI but my VT can do all sorts of cool tone shaping on my dirt pedals.

9. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I have an Agro and a BFD in parallel in front of my BDDI, and I think it shapes them very nicely...the little bit of grit I have on the BBDI smooths out the "sandpaper" that can be on the top of both of those pedals, and just leaves crushing goodness.

That said, I also have a Mastotron, and I haven't found a way to make that work with the BDDI yet...seems to really choke that type of fuzz.