What G&L option order bass are you waiting for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Rioli, Oct 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    You've poured over the options, made your decisions, thrashed out the specs and price with the dealer, have had confirmation that the factory has registered your order.....

.....and now you're waiting. Me too. Time is passing slowly, huh? Indulge yourself by telling us what you've got coming, and why you picked the details you did.

Since the G&L website gives an incorrect link, here's their bass options page:

USA Bass Options

2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Actually I just got a CLF Research L2K because I needed a fretted bass. But if I were to do a G&L option bass right at this very moment, it'd be an SB-2 with:
    - 1 1/2" Medium C neck
    - 12" radius
    - unlined FL ebony board
    - quartersawn hard rock Maple on the neck itself
    - swamp ash body for additional weight
    - plain jane clear gloss uber alles

The L2K is covered by my CLF one.....

L

jd56hawk and nonohmic like this.
  3. I ordered a custom shop CLF L-2500 in alder in July 2019. I ordered it with a Modern C5 neck like the Kiloton, and the K-Mod option. It's black with wood top binding, a maple neck, black block inlays and black neck binding.I also have considered putting a tort pickguard on it and changing the pickup covers to cream colour.

I chose those colours because my first decent bass was a CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz from 2004 and I fell in love with the blocks and binding. I had a L-2000 for a while and foolishly moved it along. It was my favourite sounding bass. I have a Fretless Kiloton 5 and love the neck.

Although the bass finally arrived in March 2020, they did not do the neck binding. I am still waiting on the replacement neck, so I consider that I am still waiting on the bass. But here she is anyway...

20200731_141035.jpg

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    That one is as good as it gets!
    Very classy.

I did it the easy way, myself.
    Bought a custom L2000 in Silver Metal-flake that someone else bought first but for some reason sold after only one month.
    Positives:
    Got it for $1,350 instead of $2,000 or more.
    Didn't have to wait three or four months fretting over it day after day, week after week, until I had it in my hands.
    Negatives:
    Please, it's a G&L!
    Pics-Art-10-03-10-35-30.jpg

friend33 and Edgetone like this.
  5. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I don't mind waiting, when it allows me to be this picky - I don't see much likelihood of my seeing a month-old empress wood SB-1 with a quartersawn 1.5" neck on sale in the UK, let alone one in shell pink.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Actually, I waited three years for mine to pop up on Reverb, so I know what you mean.
    Fortunately, I was playing this while waiting.
    7.3 lbs...swamp ash. The other one weighs easily 2 pounds more.
    20190804-095756.jpg

friend33 and Ricky Rioli like this.
  7. I pretty much knew what I wanted already. Had to be empress. Had to have rosewood with blocks. Had to be a JB-5, and had to have a matching headstock with the model delete. The one thing I couldn’t decide was the color. Do I go sparkle? Do I go metallic? I love those and I plan on that in the future, but I kept it simple and I got something I always wanted but never had. Fullerton Red with a tort guard. I love the look so much and it stands out great. It might seem like a simple and easy/safe choice, but I couldn’t be happier! Next build will be almost exact (woods, blocks, headstock), but a 4 string in Pharaoh Gold.

The problem though, was the wait. 12.5 weeks. That’s pretty quick for a build when you hear horror stories about years and years for a bass to be done. But it was during quarantine. So not having any gigs or work, stuck at home, made every day crawl! Hahaha. But it finally came and it’s amazing. Side plug - Greg at Rocket Music is the best.

31C6EBE2-2CC0-47E3-AE32-0FCAF3AA2970.jpeg
    22E52C60-751C-4D23-83CA-07D718CB5B08.jpeg

8. If I could get a G&L custom built in under 14 weeks I would probably have another order in. Mine took 8 months, and it's been another 7 months waiting for them to get me the correct neck and make things right.

9. Oh man sorry to hear that. I was told 6-8 weeks, but I learned empress options take longer.

I’d love to know some of the details to your story and why everything was so slow and what was wrong.

Edit - just saw your post. Yea that’s a shame they forgot the binding. That’s not a make or break for me but 1 - you paid for it, and 2 - it’s going to look amazing on that bass!

10. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    G&L is a pretty small shop still, so I can imagine they're pretty backed up. Last I asked Sweetwater for the leadtime for an options bass a couple months ago, they told me 6 months. And with having to crank out the CLF reissues and Fullerton Deluxes at the same time, I'm not surprised it takes forever.

L

11. I ordered from Arbutus Music in Nanaimo, BC Canada. According to them, there used to be a separate rep for International orders, but there hasn't been for a number of years now. Ever since that time, communication has gotten worse, and processing times have dropped.

They now have to deal with a fellow named Ron at G&L who is absolutely horrible at responding. They have had times where they called and emailed several times a week, then eventually got an email response saying he will call with an update the next day, then they never get the call.

Back in December, they were told by Ron that my bass was almost ready and would be shipping soon. When early February came, I finally asked Arbutus for a contact number so that I could call directly. After calling a few times, and then complaining in comments on G&L's Facebook posts, he finally called me back.

Ron told me they were having trouble with the neck binding on my order. I had ordered a CLF L-2500 but asked for the Modern C5 neck like on the JB5 and Kiloton5. His claim was that there was some issue where the neck connected to the headstock, that they were worried about destroying the neck, and he figured that I would have to forgo the binding.

So I asked if I could just get the more modern G&L headstock. I mentioned that they are able to do neck binding on the JB5 and Kiloton 5. I said I would rather have the binding than the older style headstock. He said he went and asked the builder (In retrospect I wonder if he just made that up) and said yes they could do that.

When the bass arrived, the binding was not done. Arbutus called G&L. It took over a month for Ron to respond via email and his response said that I had agreed to no neck binding in a phone call. I was furious. So I documented the date and time and length of the call as well as the above discussion points and Arbutus sent that to him.

About two months later Ron finally responded and they were told another neck was being build.

Fast forward to early October and Arbutus calls to say that G&L says the neck is almost ready and they just wanted to know what options I wanted for Logo colour and model delete or not. It's been another 20 days and still no word.

I actually think that the extra question was just a way to delay more complaints about the slowness of their service. I may be overly cynical, but I feel that all Ron has been doing is beating back requests.

Arbutus also said that when G&L had called about the neck that they stated a 6000 unit back order! They didn't know if that included Tribute editions, or was just the option order and custom shop, but WOW!

12. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    I would love a 24 fret neck. Also, G&L has always been slow. I purchased a l2k Tribute ten years ago and had to send it back due to a stripped neck screw. It took them almost a year to send me a new bass. I went ahead and bought a new L2k while I was waiting and now I have 2. I strung one bead. I recently purchased a tribute fallout guitar and had to send it back because the neck pocket was out of wack. The second one I got is great! Thank the lord for Sweetwater!

13. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have a few in mind, but I am not sure which will be first. Probably a toss up between a JB, a SB-2, or M-2000.

14. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    I’m waiting* on an SB-2T.
    Ruby red metallic
    B/W/B pick guard
    maple neck with the #11 profile (1-5/8” wide with 7-1/2” radius), no face dots or model name, light satin tint finish on the neck.

*Just waiting to save up the money to place the order.

Joshua and Ricky Rioli like this.
  15. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I used to have a photo of an SB-2 in ruby red metallic saved on my phone....except that had pearloid pickguard. If there's ever a second G&L in my life, it will definitely have a pearloid pickguard, it took a fair amount of resisting this time. What I've yet to discover is if it'll be a JB or a Kiloton....which way will things go for me....?

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Well, IMO you simply will not go wrong with a JB with a pearloid pickguard! It took me awhile to develop the proper pearloid perspective, as my JB started with tort and then had black sparkle for awhile, but I finally came around and it definitely looks best with the pearloid. IMO, this is the best four-string bass I've ever owned. Pickups are Lace Man o' Wars, which are great.

CA6383FC-8B09-4F09-B689-FC7DF3D8A18D.jpeg

friend33 and Joshua like this.
  17. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Also sitting on my phone....
    20201026_223728.jpg

Nedmundo and friend33 like this.
  18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

G&L finishes are beautiful!