1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What games did you play during recess?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StanFan, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I was reading an article about games played in schoolyards and was reminded how fun recess could be. My personal favorite game was called "Red A$$". If you've never heard of it, it's basically an exciting way of throwing a tennis ball against a wall. You could play with an almost unlimited amount of people.

The basic rules are that you throw a ball against a wall and the objective is to grab the ball (after it bounces off the wall) without fumbling it. If someone fumbles the ball, they have to run and touch the wall. You must run to the wall before someone throws the ball at you. If you're hit by the ball, you collect a letter (the first being R). If you get all six letters in Red A$$, you had to stand facing the wall while each participant throws a tennis ball at the loser once.

If you don't get the idea of the game, here's a description. The game has several names and slightly different rules.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butts_up
    This game was so basic yet fun that I'd love to meet up with my elementary school buddies just to play it (while we're still fairly young).

What were some of your favorite recess activities?

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Kickball, soakum (or dodgeball), tetherball, hoops, handball, dodge the playground monitor in between the portables.

3. 4-square. It's like dodge ball, but you stand in a large box that is divided into 4 squares and try to get other people out.

I also remember playing a ton of soccer in my elementary days.

Most of my days were spent at "the wall" if you got in trouble you had to stand against a brick wall. All of the cool kids were there. :D

4. we played that game until someone figured the angle to throw the ball where it would bounce off the wall and hit the targeted person in their "junk":D

so it became the more scary "nuts up":eek:

i also played this game called football and another game called football:p

5. We had so many banned activities at recess (POGs, marbles, baseball, Red A$$). They even took down the playground equipment because they feared getting sued by kid's parents. I also just remembered that in grade 8, me and a few friends would "pretend" to play tag.

Our principal (who was quite a heavy man) would sometimes be on yard duty, and whenever he was, we'd run circles around him pretending to play tag. When we were far enough from our principle, we'd stop and laugh about how tired we got from running around our principal, saying stupid things like "I felt like I ran around the world" or "Wow! What a marathon!". It was our way of killing an otherwise boring recess.

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    6 years in elementry school, 6 years of playing soccer during recess.

7. I played a stupid game called Benchball. There were two walls at each end of the playground. Two teams were formed and a leader chosen who stood on said wall. The teams then spread out across the playground and the idea was that you had to get the ball to the wall and to the leader. The leader then tried to hit a member of the oppsoing team. If the person was hit, they had to stand on top of their own wall with their leader.
    The team who got all their teammembers on the wall won.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, I played this-though we called it Wall Ball in my day. That and four-square were fantastic recess standbys.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    dodge ball, tether ball, football, kick ball (on a baseball diamond).

10. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Kickball, and LOTS of dodgeball. Groin and head shots still counted back then.

11. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    we played off-the-wall, also known as suicide.

12. I remember after they took down our playgrounds they painted a bunch of 4-square areas on the pavement. I was pretty good and played by the book, but so many people would illegally catch the ball and throw it. :mad:

13. We used to play four-square and a game we called handball, which was like kickball except you used a red playground ball and the "batter" served it like in volleyball. Is that a real game, or is it something we made up?

14. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    Box Ball! (paradox... aka Four Square), B-Ball, Dodgeball, etc.

15. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Pine cone wars, tag, hide and sneek, football, soccer, baseball, manhunt, snowball fights, water balloon fights, fights, basketball, mini-sticks, and sandwars.

16. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Pencil Break. Sometimes Finger Break too.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    British Bulldog. Until it got banned.

Yo yos. Until they got banned.

Pogs. Until they got banned.

Pokemon. Until they got banned.

Conkers. Until they got banned.

After that, it was pretty much down to Acky-1-2-3 or football (soccer for you Americans)

18. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Street football(soccer) using a tennis ball and the basketball courts.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Wall ball
    Football
    Soccer
    Manhunt (like a giant hide and go seek, except we had to tackle and hold people down)
    Basketball
    Kickball
    Dodgeball

20. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    We used to see how high we can get on the playground equipment ten dare each other to jump off. Several broken arms later we got banned from the playground equipment. We then were able to go to the football field and gym so football and basketball.