what gauge for 70s Fender P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tihi, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hello!

What would be the heaviest string gauge (I use DR High beams) that I can put on my '73 Fender precision.
    I like the sound of thicker strings, but don't know how far can I go, without bending the neck.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe the highest guage that Hi Beams come in is a 105 E. You don't have to worry about it unless there is something struturally wrong with the bass.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it's survived this long, I don't think heavy strings should be a problem. Standard or heavy gauges should be fine/
  4. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I'd be careful though, I had some thick strings (DRs but coulve been any brand) on my 76 P while in Drop C# and after a month or so the tuning peg screws started to strip out on the own from the headstock to the point where there was gaps between the tuner mounting plates and headstock. Soon as I went back to 105 they went back on their own fine but I'll never put thicker strings on this bass again for that reason and I realized overall I prefer standard strings even when detuned.

hi-beams do come in a few bigger sizes i think, I know they at least make a 110-50 set that i've used before. Juststrings.com should have them.
  5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I have Knucklehead DoubleWide "Fattys" on my '73 P-bass and they sound amazing!!! Great for any genre you play!