what gauge strings do I need for my 4 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 30, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    its time to change the strings on my Fender P-Bass. What are the pros and cons of the different gauges? and what kind of strings work best on a P-Bass? I like Ernie Ball, ok, but hate GHS.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Lighter gauges - easier feel, good for slap/pop, weaker tone, tends to give more buzz, to be played with a lighter touch

Heavier gauges - harder to play (esp. slap/pop), fatter tone, fat strings = less fret buzz, requires a littler more attack

I just love D'addario XL strings (have 45-65-80-100 long scale on my MIM J), but I think Ernie Ball are good strings too. I would definitely string a P-bass with either nickel roundwound or flatwound. Depends on what you play and how you want to sound.

Of course, this is a personal preference...

Oh, I too hate GHS! ;)
  3. hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    One more thing.. if you plan on playing your bass in a lower tuning then it would be probably be best to use lower gauge strings(and visa-versa for a higher tuned bass). IMHO I can't see why anyone would use heavier/lighter gauge strings if they play a normally tuned bass.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Lowered tunings should use HEAVIER gauge strings...

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I have D'Addario Slowound (45, 65, 85, 105) extra-longs on my MIA P-Bass. They sound great!
  6. This is what I use on all my basses. Excellent every time.

45-65-85-105, Nickel, great sound, nice price.