1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what gauge strings do I need for my 4 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 30, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    its time to change the strings on my Fender P-Bass. What are the pros and cons of the different gauges? and what kind of strings work best on a P-Bass? I like Ernie Ball, ok, but hate GHS.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Lighter gauges - easier feel, good for slap/pop, weaker tone, tends to give more buzz, to be played with a lighter touch

Heavier gauges - harder to play (esp. slap/pop), fatter tone, fat strings = less fret buzz, requires a littler more attack

I just love D'addario XL strings (have 45-65-80-100 long scale on my MIM J), but I think Ernie Ball are good strings too. I would definitely string a P-bass with either nickel roundwound or flatwound. Depends on what you play and how you want to sound.

Of course, this is a personal preference...

Oh, I too hate GHS! ;)

3. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    One more thing.. if you plan on playing your bass in a lower tuning then it would be probably be best to use lower gauge strings(and visa-versa for a higher tuned bass). IMHO I can't see why anyone would use heavier/lighter gauge strings if they play a normally tuned bass.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Lowered tunings should use HEAVIER gauge strings...

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I have D'Addario Slowound (45, 65, 85, 105) extra-longs on my MIA P-Bass. They sound great!

6. This is what I use on all my basses. Excellent every time.

45-65-85-105, Nickel, great sound, nice price.

Chris

7. bump