1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what gauge strings for a kubicki exfactor

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vrossi, Oct 19, 2013.

1. vrossi

vrossi

Jan 29, 2013
    I keep on changing my strings from .40 to .45 and back. Never settling on one and still deciding what's best. On my fenders & music man the .45s are alright. But on the kubicki I find the 45s-100 to have too much tension and a bit hard to play. Does the 32" scale make it higher?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    32" reduces actual tension, however a shorter scale also slightly increases perceived tension: the string anchoring points are closer together so sideways bending is more difficult for the same actual tension.
    A .005 change in gauge from .040 to .045 is a huge jump in tension, much more than a .005 change from .100 to .105, this is why gauge steps should reduce for higher strings. It's even worse with a C string giong from .025 to .030.
    Here's a company that smootly varies it's gauge steps for equal jumps in tension between adjacent gauges, also here's some finely stepped choice of gauges: .041, .043 ...
    http://circlekstrings.com/store/standard-balanced-4-strings-ss2.html

3. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Phil always recommended using 45-105's due to the shorter scale tension loss- on the Kubicki website , it says a 32" scale has a net loss of 6% tension compared to a 34" scale.
    I've always had great tone with 45-105 nickel wound strings on my Exfactor.

4. vrossi

vrossi

Jan 29, 2013
    I always thought shorter scale basses had more tension than a long scale because of the shorter slack available to vibrate. An extreme example would be to compare the tension of the string from the nut to the tuning pegs, to the tension of the string from nut to bridge saddle. Doesn't the string from nut to peg have higher tension than nut to bridge saddle? Hence, I feel .45 strings to be softer to play on a 34" bass and higher tension on my kubicki?

5. sirmoog

sirmoog

May 12, 2012
    Sharjah, UAE
    I remember talking to Phil about this because I had sold my Status Graphite Kingbass for a new Factor last year and I was using 0.30 on the kingbass. I wanted something to that effect and jumping to 0.45 wasn't going to be kind to my fingers. I clearly remember Phil saying that you can put any gauge string you want on the Factor but he highly recommends the 0.45 for the scale length... In the end I couldn't use the 0.45s so use a 0.40 DRs on it...

6. vrossi

vrossi

Jan 29, 2013
    Standard set up of action tends to be medium height with .45 - .105 as standard. I had my kubicki set up by a luthier and it came out like that. I never was able to play that so i bought
    .40-.95 d addarios and set it up myself ala victor wooten style. Super easy to play.