1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What gauge to use on a short scale for Drop C?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by winterburn69, Mar 26, 2009.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    So I have this short scale bass, and I'd like to tune it to Drop C. I really don't want to detune my long scale bass (a Thunderbird, if it matters), this is my only other bass for the moment, and I need to do this quickly.

Is this possible? What gauge should I get?

I've been reading that .125 - .95 - .75 - .65 is a great gauge for a Drop C tuning, and short scale strings are about a .90 - .75 - .50 - .40, but I think that the .125 - .95 - .75 - .65 would be close to impossible to find for a short scale, and too thick. It's been a long while since I've played my short scale bass, but as I recall, you need to use short scale strings.

So does anyone have suggestions on the string gauge?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I think you're going to have a real fun time finding any string that won't sound sloppy tuned to drop C on a short scale.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Bridge cable?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, odds are it isn't going to work. What short scale do you have? You are going to need full size tuners and a thick neck. A musicmaster might cut it.

Also, if you are not going through the body, you might want to look at adding extra screws to the bridge. Short scale basses tend to be lower end, and since the tension tends to be lower they cheap out on the bridge.

Buy long scale strings and cut them back. This is why you need full size tuners.... you are going to be in the meaty part of the string, not the tapered part. You will need to do some work to the nut.

A short scale will need a much thicker E string than a long scale. If a 125 is good for long scale, go one lower, maybe a 128.

Flats will give you higher tension than rounds.