What gauge would you recomend for downtuning my Ibanez Mikro to C-F-A#-D#?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm not reading all that, later dude.
    now you have the tool to find what you need

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    If you had read it though, you would have discovered that I figured out several posts back, and even thanked you for providing the link to the tool that made it possible.

May I suggest you at least do an actual effort to read the OP beyond the headline before answering next time.

I know I've made exactly that same mistake several times, however I have never felt shy on admitting it and apologizing for my half assed effort to help, instead of blaming OP and accusing him for being ungrateful for my (not so) priceless advise.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    TonyP- likes this.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    You really need to chill. Life is shorter than your short scale.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

next time I'll just drop the link & scoot on off, because I don't feel like wasting my time reading the constant rebuttals

5. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    TLDR; Buy a .125 for and E and scoot the others up one position, ditching your current G string. That should give you a starting point.

five7 and NoiseNinja like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have to admit... well put... and funny.

El Pelusa likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Life is shorter than 28,6"?

Well that is news to me.

Which scale exactly do you use for converting inches to years?

And what would a similar conversion scale be for Lbs, Bytes, Watt, heck even maybe different type of currencies?

You need to make a scheme plotting in various conversion scales for various interchanging types of measurements!

Or even better an App.

People love Apps!

I am sure there would be a big general demand for such if only people was made aware of the true value of being able to compare parameters for non related concepts.

Also I am perfectly chill, if anything you need to chill down on budging into random threads telling me to chill down.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    You're the least chill person on TB.

9. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    How would you say my chillness factor compares to the GDP, of say, Uganda though?

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Enough already.

11. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    They have you beat.

packhowitzer likes this.
  12. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    since You (op) is asking for opinions and/or help ... i wouldn't waste my time scolded those who quickly read over a post and try to help .. ?!!?

my advice would be to do some research ... versus asking others to do your homework for you .. ?!

or ... buy and try various gauges until you find what feels best ..?? nobody else will know what feels best to Your fingertips ..?

slapinfunk will know better than most of us what would work well and be readily available ...

have a happy search .. !

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I use the Great Dane scale... measure them how you want, but those are some big doggies, and sad to say, have a short life expectancy. I made the mistake of offering one a potato chip, from my mouth, no less...

... I didn't see daylight for three days, at least...

... my humor didn't work, prior, so I'm using real world stories to calm the thread.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  14. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Gennious!

Moderators, close all forums and threads for further replies and make this the top sticky in every one of them!

Also on a more serious note:

Helping others is not excuse for doing a poor job doing so!

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    You sound like you are new around these parts ;)

Not receiving the help in a way that one expects is no excuse to not be grateful to those who tried.

el_Bajo_Verde and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Free advice is worth what you pay.

17. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Welcome to the internet.

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the world.

Throwing a hissy fit because someone doesn't help you in a way you feel approriate is something most folks grow out of.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'd be grouchy too if I had a short instrument and needed advice on getting deeper.

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    We have a guy, sort of like this, at work... supposedly, has an engineering degree, yet working alongside a bunch of techs... when he first started, I (along with others) made it a point to engage him, answer questions we knew the answer to, and when we didn't have the answer, we would try and point him in the right direction...

... after Mr. Engineer asking a few questions, which usually led to Mr. Engineer initiating a few, usually heated arguments, he now sits at a desk, constructing spreadsheets for himself...

Disclaimer: In no way am I insinuating the OP, or the situation described, are the actors in this play...

... I've always been a big fan of, '... if I can use the advice/help, great. If not? I won't, and leave it at that...'

@NoiseNinja , I hope you follow up with your experiment... probably some good info to be had... just the comparison between what you expected and what transpired would be helpful, I think... and don't be 'Mr. Engineer', as you asked for advice on string gauge, and members tried to help...

... it's not even that big of a desk, either.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021