What gauge would you recomend for downtuning my Ibanez Mikro to C-F-A#-D#?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Helpful, and yet hilarious...

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    This thread feels like Monday, but it's Wednesday.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I would suggest you take that route today :smug:
    Of course it's ironic, we're indignant at your indignance.

Instead of attacking, you could have just taken the tools we gave you and figured it out for yourself.
    but human nature prevailed

Spidey2112 and Uncle Hanky like this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    This is most definitely sig worthy!

Spidey2112 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    One option, buy every set of strings that are made for every stringed instrument and try them all until you find ones that work.

Uncle Hanky and Empiar93 like this.
  6. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    NBC_scientific_method.png

7. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Hello OP! Simply buy 5 string set, remove the high g string, and use the bottom four. You will want a .120 or .125 for your low string (.125 is probably best, as this is short scale).

Nev375 likes this.
  8. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    At the risk of suffering some of the OP's very freely-given ire, I'll chime in and note that I used a set of D'Addario EXL160S strings in .050-.105 to tune my MiKro to drop C. I'd imagine that may work for C standard, as OP has stated a preference for floppy strings.

I'd also recommend emailing the good folks at Stringjoy to see if they might help.

::calmly raises shields::

9. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    This is a fantastic thread :laugh:

Uncle Hanky and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. This whole thread just reads like: "Can I get some help here?" And then "No, not like that, you're helping me wrong!"

11. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Sorry to bust up this love fest, but OP - would you please change the post to read "C F Bb Eb".......its really setting off my OCD. OK, party on!

Neon Scribe and Uncle Hanky like this.
  12. Does Stringjoy make strings short enough to fit the Mikro? I think anything over .105 might snap at the tuning peg if the string is too long

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Is there a reason it should be shown "Bb Eb" instead of "A# D#"?

I first learned the notes all by their # names and then the first time I came across the circle of fifths referred to in b's it confused the heck out of me and it took me some effort to relearn.

I am just wondering if one of these is actually officially correct, as I see different teachers and players use the different terms?

14. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    With C as the starting point, the strings are tuned in 4ths (basses are usually tuned in 4ths, but starting on E).

Go up 4 letters. C, D, E, F. That's how we got to a note called "F" weather it be F natural, F sharp, or F flat (that's why there's an F# in a C lydian scale, with an augmented 4th degree)

Now go up 4 letters from F - F, G, A, B - whatever the value of the 4th degree from F, will be a "B" something - in this case Bb

4 letters again - B, C, D, E - so Eb

Circle of 4ths, in other words, we just aren't circling around the whole way

Another way of looking at it....the key of Bb has 2 flats. The key of A# has 10 sharps - that's 10 sharps for 7 notes (C##, F##, and G##). That's just insanity, even though it's technically correct. Keep it simple - call it Bb.

Enharmonics are notes who share a frequency value but are called by different names. C = B# = Dbb = A### and so on. Use the simplest name at any given time.

15. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think people have already done enough of OP's research for him.

Killed_by_Death and RichSnyder like this.
  16. I was actually asking because I just purchased a 28.6" scale ESP fiver :)

The stock strings have a chorusing effect, possibly from lack of tension...I've got some short scale Jamersons on the way though!

Uncle Hanky and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Useful string physics rough rule: For 2 strings at equal tension, the ratio of gauges will be roughly equal to the ratio of frequencies.
    So multiply your current gauges by 1.26 (the frequency multiplier for 4 semitones).
    .040, .060,.075,.095 ->
    .050, .075, .095, .120

But anyway, good to see you have ordered a more balanced set.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021