Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What GC said about MM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 9, 2002.

1. I wanted to custom order a Stingray 5 from guitar center, but they guy said that it could be a year's wait because Musicman is a samll, high quality control company that won't expand no matter how high the demand.

Is this true?

2. More or less. Music Man still does a lot of stuff by hand that most other big-name companies have machines to do, and it's just about at its profitability maximum in terms of number of employees, I'd imagine. Since I doubt that they'll switch to computer-controlled finishing, fret installation, etc. like many companies have, they're not going to expand production any time soon.

In any case, there are dozens of used Stingray 5s floating around. Check the Bass Palace website--they have a blue one with a white pickguard that is absolutely stunning. I've played it and it is THE ONE as far as Stingray 5s are concerned.

3. I believe that's more of a preference thing. A lot of people like bolt-ons. Neckthoughs aren't "better".

4. Uh, Laklands and Sadowskys are bolt ons. Are they not high quality? Neck through isn't necessarily better. Just different.

The wait times for MM basses are fairly long. I was told last week that I'd have to wait until June for one. Then I found a used one in the paper..... They're a fairly small operation and they certainly have high quality control standards. Used ones are fairly common. Check out Bass Central, too. They've got lots of them. Talk to Gard (one of the TB mods in case you didn't know). He works there and he's very helpful. Their prices are great, too...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So I guess that $300 Neck through is better than my Sadowsky? LOL :)

Different, not better. ;)

6. ..and my Dingwall.

Geoff

7. MTD, F, Mike Lull, Roscoe, Pedulla, etc.

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Tons of MM. Sticking with old price too.

9. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I keep running into every string I'm interested in you're there!!

Why is the blue one at Palace "the one?" It's also seems about $150 overpriced, even if it looks and plays virtually unused. You can get just as Stunning a new one from BC for about $60 to $100 more, with warrantee etc. etc.

They're pricing is too high on their used Musicman and Lakland basses IMHO as is Gguitars.

I'm looking at 3 to 10 year old stingray 5's hopefully so that for once in my life someone else can pay most of the depreciation instead of me!!

Good luck. That blue bass does look tremendous and if I can't hook up with a slightly older used one by the end of the weekend, maybe we'll try them. How does it play and sound beside "the one."

LKaye

10. EB is tight when it comes to their QC, they're like a large custom shop. i have a lot of respect for that company.

11. Play it and you'll know why.

With the same strings, same setup, same everything as the other SR5s in the store (and when I went, the Swami had about 5 in there) it simply blew them all away. The B string was more forceful, the tone was at once more cutting and more supportive, the fretwork was unbelievable...oh man, that's a nice bass. The best part about it was that the action was unbelievably low and completely buzz-free. Left-hand work was easier than typing (and I touch-type at 85 bpm). This is an unbelievable achievement on a one-piece maple neck.

I think Bob priced it higher in accordance with its status as The One--I wouldn't have, but whatever.