What genre do you play, and why do you use the pedals you do?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Nov 19, 2020.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    What genre/style of music do you play, what pedals/effects do you use, when and why?

Personally I don’t use effects or pedals at all, except rarely the footswitch for my Rumble 500. I’ve played in a few groups, mostly originals, from hip hop/R&B to heavy indie/metal-ish. I’ve never felt the need for them, and I hate having to plug in the 9v adapter and all the patch cables involved...but I know there’s a lot of people who like them or rely on them for their sound, so I’m interested to hear why you use certain effects and when (ie “OD during the solo to fill out space behind the guitar” or something like that).

eriky4003, Ellery and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm mostly a plug straight in person, but started using an active DI and pedal tuner for gigs with my funk/jazz band for practical purposes.

Then, since I had a board and a power source down there added some pedals for individual songs. An EQ for one chord sound I need to get in and out of faster than I can adjust my onboard controls, a tremolo pedal for another chord sound (guitar player loves writing chord parts for me to play behind his solos) and an OC2 for a couple of songs I recorded parts of in drop D or on synth.

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I play mainly in rock/metal bands and typically keep a handful of pedals on the board at any given time, with the most-used being fuzz, overdrive, and chorus. My baseline tone tends to be clean and relatively hi-fi, which works great in a band mix but is not necessarily very interesting on its own. Most of my pedal use occurs during situations where the bass tone is really exposed, such as bass breaks, song intros that are lead by the bass, and more ambient types of passages where the guitars are playing sparsely.

richntiff, lucas303, DukeCC and 2 others like this.
  4. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I play mostly rock pop covers, various classics and blues. Rarely I use an old Boss Super Chorus to fatten things up during guitar solos. I used a flanger in a pop original thing many years ago.

Since my newest pedal was made in 1993, I have been thinking of getting a pedal for Christmas.

If you had to recommend one pedal, what would it be?

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Can’t help you there, but I too have been considering venturing into the dark world of pedals. Compressors and EQ seem to be pretty popular around TB though.

Basslice likes this.
  6. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I play funk/soul/jazz, and a little rock.

I use an mxr compressor to gently even things out and to have it flash angry lights at me when I'm playing too hard. I may stop using it altogether though...

I use a solidgoldFX beta overdrive for just a little bit of grit when i need it.

I use an mxr envelope filter because... well i play funk... i like the clean blend.

I use an mxr bass octave pedal for "that sound" but i rarely if ever actually use it so this one may be taken off the pedalboard too.

I use a broughton HPF to get rid of mud and rumble, tweaked to suit whatever room I'm in.

eriky4003, Zbysek and Basslice like this.
  7. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Oh and FYI if you set up a pedalboard you dont need to worry about all the patch cables, they'll always be set up.

eriky4003, DrMole and PennyroyalWe like this.
  8. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Latin, Jazz. Mostly straight to the mix desk, but I have a doubling rig set up with an EQ (to calm the DB piezo bark), a line switcher and a tuner.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Mostly rock/alt and a l'il funk. Some blues too, seasonally. I use a C4 (or old skool EH micro synth) because it entertains me to no end. Fuzz or drive occasionally, when it fits. Compression always but mostly as a leveler, very light, not as a limiter. Envelope or chorus/modulation stuff if needed. I'd be totally fine to not use anything, even the compressor or EQ. But if I have my board some effect is gonna get kicked once in a while.

And a tuner. Why? Because bassists need Proof that the lead guitar is out of tune. Nobody takes my word for it.

Zbysek and Basslice like this.
  10. FP777

FP777

Jun 1, 2016
    New England
    I play indie math rock. I experiment with pedals while recording, but live is just straight in.

When recording I mess with digital delay (Boss DD-5, pristine repeats), overdrive (Boss BD-2, very very mild overdrive), some pitch shifting (Boss PS-3) and maybe some compression (Way Huge Saffron Squeeze). I've tried other effects, but this is what works for me while recording.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  11. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    Classic and Southern Rock. I have a tuner, HPF, compressor, drop box, phase shifter, Ampeg preamp, Ampeg dirt, distortion, and a noise gate. All but the Ampeg dirt, distortion, phase shifter, and drop box are always on. Those boxes are used on an as-needed basis. I use those boxes because I at least want to try to sound something like the original recording. It kinda hard to emulate this sound without some heavy distortion.

Riff Ranger, jdh3000 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  12. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I play a little of everything. Mostly I just use my EBS compressor to fatten things up a little but lately I've been trying the distortion channel on my Magellan.

Zbysek and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Juststanley

Juststanley

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    I play classic and southern rock and some blues in two bands....but I don't need no stinkin' pedals...I am , however, considering a HPF and maybe some mild compression in the future.

OK, OK I do use a pedal tuner...Korg pitchblack

Zbysek, DJ Bebop and PennyroyalWe like this.
  14. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I play a variety of musical genres - jazz, funk, pop. I figured any pedal board would have to be huge and filled with pedals to fit different genres. I even put together three separate boards at one point. Now I use an HX Effects which has a ton of different effects in a small box. I pair it with various Preamps, works great for me.

Zbysek likes this.
  15. I play CCM / worship music.
    I basically play a duplicate of the Bethel Music rig. Love it!

Tone hammer for tone shaping and an amazing tube breakup style overdrive. Very dynamic. MicroSynth for a fuzz type effect for huge moments. It really gets rounded out going into the tone hammer. And a tuner. :)
    IMG_6307.jpg

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    These days mainly playing blues, country and folk so the only pedal I use is an HPF to control feedback with my DB. No effects.

Zbysek likes this.
  17. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I play mainly rock and progressive covers. For a while I've used very little in the way of pedals, just a Digitech Drop (that has a built-in octaver) and a BDDI. But I'm fixing to add a compressor, a bandpass filter (possibly separate HPF and LPF instead), a boost, a chorus, a separate octaver, a YYZ2112, a distortion, and a few other toys to help diversify my sound a little.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. 50hertz

50hertz

Sep 13, 2018
    Took me awhile. And I spent a fair amount of time and money trading. But this is where I landed, and it serves me well for:

1) A Psychedelic / Prog Rock Trio
    2) A Hardcore / Thrash band
    3) The odd Funk jam with my housemates
    And
    4) Frig. Just about anything else I want.

I don't use the darkglass for "high gain". I have it set pretty low and tame for a realllllly subtle breakup and a fair amount of compression on my "clean" tone.

I basically wanted all the tricks I'd use in a studio on my pedalboard so I can adapt to a bunch of styles.

- Low end is mostly clean (just a tiny bit of low gain saturation) and compressed

- Dirt is applied mainly to 500hz and up

- Dirt sources are all parallel

- High pass filter to clean up muddiness, especially when using an octaver

Plus : fun synthy options.

20201119_191715.jpg

BrentSimons, Zbysek and JC Nelson like this.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Country. HPF, compressor, Digitech chorus, Tech 21 BFR w/ boost capability.

Riis

Zbysek, jdh3000 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I play whatever someone pays me to play, my pedals vary depending on the situation, but usually some overdrive and a couple octave pedals, although the last gig I did I didn't use anything.

Zbysek, DJ Bebop and PennyroyalWe like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022