Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What gets you up and Gone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 31, 2003.

1. In my quest to know more about my fellow talkbassers through inane Q&A, I pose to you, a quandary:

What's the music that really gets your blood moving, the stuff that makes your good mood even greater and makes you feel like you could take on the world with a butterknife in your underwear? The stuff that makes you giggle like a bashful schoolgirl and whoop like a drunken fratboy?

For me, it's a little 3 letter word that begins with "S", ends in "A" and the middle letter is somewhere in between J and L.

Wow, I really like those analogies....

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really love music, while I am partial to many different forms of music, but stuff that really gets me going is stuff that has dissonant contrapuntal movement. while I do not love dissonance, there is something that is exhilerating about half steps moving against eachother.

Another thing that REALLY gets me going is Dynamics, take a song like "Reza" by Jaco Pastorius, the dynamics are what makes the song, it goes from pianissimo to Double Forte and then drops back to a mezzo forte, and oh...its just brilliant!

I could go on and on because I find things I like about many many different types of music. Syncopation, off beat pauses, anticipation built by note placement....all these things make me giggle, and my friend's will profess to having been dragged out of bed just to listen to 10 seconds of a song that they've never heard, with me jumping up and down the whole time :D

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    you dropped a bomb on meee.....baby!

:D

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ska definately gets me movin as well, but i dunno, it depends on my mood i suppose. Sometimes it a good exhilarating Beethoven symphoney, somtimes its an insane metal guitar solo. I like to keep variety.:D

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A piece that always makes me realise that the world is beautiful place, and life is a wonderful thing, is Three Views Of A Secret.

6. "jump" by van halen.

7. Definitely. Also "Fire" by Hendrix, "Motion Picture Soundtrack" by Radiohead and "Love Rollercoaster" by RHCP. Most ska is also good, especially Less than Jake.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Deliverance by Opeth. GOD I listened to that single song for more than two weeks straight. Sometimes with just that cool mother of all riffs at the end on a-b repeat.

Grandma Dynamite by 24-7 SPYZ also comes to mind.
    Another one is Attitude by Mother's Finest - my personal "don't mess with me today" song. :cool:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Any metal I really dig, especially Gwar, Slayer, some Prong... metal. Funk maybe even moreso. Uptempo funk/funk metal... that really does it for me... some P-Funk, Old Chili Peppers, The Limbomaniacs, Mr. Bungle's first album (Well all Mr. Bungle, but the self titled was the "funkiest"). Music is my Aeroplane. ;)

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Eddie Cochran styled Rocka-Billy! Gene Vincent,
    One hit wonder 50's rock! So much unbridled energy.

That or AC/DC!

The volume knob gets turned up. I start laughing and having fun.

11. SLAYER! specifically anything off of Reign in Blood or Undisputed Attitude. They make me wanna break bottles and throw things. in a good way (?) same effect from Sepultura.
    this awesome hardcore-ish band Hope Fall.
    Sublime-in particluar same in the end or track 17 on 40 oz.(i don'tknow the track names for that album)

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh man. I think y'all have covered it all for me. Although I'm not much of a metal fan, Sepultura really gets me up and going. More than anything, though, it would be some great SKA! SKA SKA SKA!!!
    Early blues recordings really get me excited, too. Any of those old bluesmen recorded in the early 1900s are EXCELLENT! Anything on the classic rock station here puts me in a good mood. Some fast fingerstyle acoustic, classical, or jazz always does it for me, too.