Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What give your rig its tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Dec 17, 2005.

1. The bass Mainly

39 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. The Amp and Speakers Mainly

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Both of them Working together

98 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    Ive wondered this for a while, and sorry if you have seen this before, but what do you think gives you rig its "tone", the bass you are using, or the amp-speaker combonation. Or maybe just the both of them playing together?

-Jake

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I definitely think it is the sum of the parts. My Genesis sounds very different through my Eden rig than does my Quantum.

My Quantum or Genesis each sound different through my Ampeg than they do through the Eden.

You'd sound different on my rig than I sound.

It a total package thing.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely both, my amp adds lots of nice mids to my tone, and my bass is a sterling. nuff said.

4. I'd say that I do.

5. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I use my blue G&L SB-2... I found a pic and put it in the next post...

I run that through my Alesis 3630 compressor for mild compression... then a Sansamp Bass Driver RBI, then my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro and finally, the Ampeg SVT810E Classic Enclosure.

You can have the best sounding bass in the world... if it's got crappy strings on it, or a crappy amp powering it, it WILL sound like crap

I currently use DR High Beams strings and Labella Hard Rockin' Steel strings. I've tried D'addario and Rotosounds with decent results, too.

I usually play with a pick, but I also play fingerstyle.

All of those factors make a difference in what you sound like

plus I boost some mids and cut the top of the treble off. My bass doesn't respond to the high end anyway.

Moral? Sure is! If you have well rounded gear, it will help your overall tone.

Have a nice day!

6. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    [​IMG]

7. It depends, you can have fairly transparent sounding basses, and amps that add alot of colour, or it can be the other way, all in all tho, everything effects your tone

You tried a tara labs power cable ?

8. i think that the bass has all the tone, and the amp/effects only elaborate (is that the word i am thinking of?) the tone.

9. wheres the fingers option? the tone is in your fingers people!

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

My amp has a great preamp section. Overall, it comes from me. I sound pretty much the same through any amp.

Rob

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ever played a ****ty bass through a nice amp?

If yes: whatd it sound like?

Ever played a nice bass through a ****ty amp?

If yes: whatd it sound like?

12. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    No i havent, whats the difference?

-Jake

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've played my bass and my effects through many other amps, but I can't really seem to nail my tone without my Ampeg. I love it.

14. Person2Person

Person2Person

Sep 13, 2005

I guess it sounded like this post. Senseless.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What about FX units? I say that each part of my rig (including my bass) plays an equal role in making my disctinct tone, from the strings on the bass to the tubes in the amp.

16. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I don't see why you think this post is senseless. If you play a crappy bass though a nice amp, the result may be better than playing a crappy bass through a crappy amp. It may just sound bad no matter what. I think his questions make sense.

17. Person2Person

Person2Person

Sep 13, 2005
    Ok, then you date him. ;)

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    For me, I think it's more the bass than anything. I pretty much leave everything flat on my SWR 750 and use the preamp on my bass to get my sound. When I play my six string with Bartolini pups and 3 band preamp through my rig, it sounds totally different from my G&L L2000. I like to let both basses sound the way they sound and not try to color them with the amp.

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I used to think it was my bass. Then I changed to a better bass and I found out my rig sucked. Then I changed my rig. I have found that they both compliment each other. Quality components make the set complete. You are only as good as the weakest component.

20. Both, but other cabs might be able to get the same sound.