Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What glue to use for joining neck pieces, body halves?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Captain_joe6, Sep 15, 2005.

1. What glue do you guys recommend for joining the pieces of a 5-piece neck, or for joining halves of a body or the Fb to the neck? I was thinking of using hide glue for that 'modern-super-antique-retro' approach, but I don't know if it is of sufficient strenght. Anybody know if it'll work?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    titebond 1

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A large majority use Titebond I. Ken Smith uses Titebond II.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've never used it on joining neck pieces, but I'm sure Probond would do just as well.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what the others said unless yo uplan on using a water based finish...

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    You would need something like Gorilla Glue for that, right?

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Elaborate?

8. Any wood glue is fine for instrument building. There are some that even swear by white glue. I've used titebond 1 and 2. I like 1 because it dries to a lighter shade than 2, which if your joint is not right can leave a dark line. I personally prefer yellow glue. It doesn't matter if you're using a waterbased finish. In order to undo a glue joint with a non water resistant glue, you would need plenty of moisture and heat (steam). A water based finish is not going to compromise the joint.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have heard differently from pro luthiers . Most use an epoxy. water based finishes can indeed weaken glue joints.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Which they shouldn't.

PVa is too plastic to work for a joint under long time load. It gives over time.
    PVa is a terrible material to sand or scrape, and it's no much nicer to cut.
    PVa will form a surface, due to the difficulty to sand it off, and this surface will not adhere to any water based finish. Even some solvent based will not work.

You should use a glue that cures into a fairly "hard but brittle" material.

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What about TiteBond III? Has anyone ever worked with it, even in areas other than luthiery?

12. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

What are some other uses for gorilla glue? Body blanks okay? How bout for setting the neck?

Oog

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd do a search on gorilla glue. There were a few caveats mentioned. IIRC it can stain maple- or was it that it doesn't glue maple well? Search away!

14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I got real nasty looks from mentioning that I used Gorilla Glue in bass building when talking with the luthier at Bass Central. I don't use it any more. It was a bit of a PITA.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I hate that it foams up and expands. I also hate that it's goopy and doesn't wash off in water very well.

16. I use Titebond original. I've heard that Titebond III is a stronger glue, but haven't tried it.

17. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    You are working with wood so if it is a guitar. bass or cabinet
    you need to use wood glue. Any white or yellow carpenter wood glue will do the job.

18. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I use wood glue for all gluing applications in my building. If you are using an open channel truss rod(meaning there is no filler over the rod) epoxy tends to get into the slot and can be a pain. Titebond is extremely strong and removing two pieces of wood glues togther with it are very hard to separate.