Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What glue to use on new skunk stripe?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gander, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    I'm installing a new double acting truss rod in my 98 MIM Fender Jazz V. I'll route out the old skunk stripe and replace it with a red oak stripe(that's all I could find) after the new truss rod is installed. The question is, what's the best adhesive to use in installing the new stripe? Is plain white wood glue ok or is there something better? Also, any suggestions on touching up or refinishing the back of the neck after the new strip is installed would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

2. Aliphatic resin. (titebond)

wipe the oak down lightly with a little acetone to clean and open the pores, then apply glue and install. You realise you have to rout out a considerable amount in a flat trench for that type of rod, yes?

As for touchup, scuff up the finish with 000 Steel wool, or @300 grit or finer paper and then recoat lightly with similar clear finish....OR, you could take the opportunity to add shader coat to make the neck look more amber....

Lickety-split! Good luck!

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. I picked up some Titebond yesterday. I'll put my neck jig together today and I'm ready to route. StewMac tells me Fender uses a polyurethane finish on these necks so that's pretty easy to find. I was wondering about clamping after I glue and install the stripe. Think a few strong rubber bands would work? Thanks again.

4. See, that's the thing really, rubber bands *could* supply enough clamping pressure, but banded clamps are a tad better.

The best of all thing is a "slightly tight" when installing skunk stripe. Nothing you wanna hammer in (because it'll cause undue stress to the surrounding wood) but you also don't want the stripe to readily fall in to the rout either.

If I may, I'd also suggest wrapping the length of trussrod in either saran wrap or some sort of thin-wall heat shrink tubing, so that no glue you're using will bind up the proper action of the dual rods. :bassist:

5. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    I finished my project. The new truss rod works great. I have no dead spots on the neck. Posted a couple of pics. Thanks for all the advice. First pic is of the new adjustment at the heel. Second is of the new oak stripe.

6. NICE JOB!!!! Congrats!