What goes well with wenge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRU, Jun 11, 2002.

1. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I'd like to get a JB with wenge neck and ebony fingerboard, but I'm not sure what wood to use for body. Ash would give nice contrast to the dark wenge, but how would the combination sound? I guess alder-wenge combination might have too much low-mids. Bubinga body would weight a ton. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for a very tight sound. I'd probably use Bartolini P2's.
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I had a bass with wenge/purpleheart neck and a cherry body. It sang!!
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    swamp ash seems like the best choice. great tight tone, that's edgie and bold.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a wenge necked bass in the works at Curbow's. He's putting a wenge neck with a pao ferro fretboard onto my Peavey Palladium body that is made of alder. The pickups are Barts (passive) and it'll have hipshot tuners, and a BadAss II bridge.
    He's setting it up with TI Jazz Rounds.

I'm sure I'll post about it when it shows up (perhaps even with sound files if I can get around to it). Of course, first priority is my 8 string fretless, but the Peavey/Warmoth hybrid shouldn't be too far off, either.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wenge goes well with all kinds of different combinations. i have a wenge and purple heart necked fretless with a maple board and a cherry body, sounds really good, snappy and deep, but with a nice, grindy midrange. the fretted neck on my double neck has the same kind of neck, wenge and purple heart with maple fretboard, but the body on that side of the instrument is also wenge, and it sounds really snappy, tight and focused.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Wenge makes for a pretty heavy neck, so watch for neck dive.
    I'd recommend going with a similarly heavy, dense wood for better balance. Bubinga is nice, and properly balanced, would be my call.

Otherwise, the upper horn may need to be extended a bit to keep the neck-dive reasonable.
    Long-scale neck would make this more of a problem. Go with lighter hardware for tuners. Maybe you would be able to balance with a somwhat lighter body if these steps are effective.

If all else fails, go with a well fitted strap and prepare to keep the bass up higher. Neck dive is less of a problem that way as opposed to it being down by you knees.
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You made the right choice by getting a wenge neck! The ebony will add a little more darkness, so you may want to balance that out by getting a swamp ash body to add tight snap. My #1 bass is a Warwick w/wenge neck and fingerboard and swamp ash body. Very balanced sound and playability. My #2 is a Warmoth J-bass w/wenge neck+ebony fingerboard and alder/burl maple top body. Its top heavy, but has a solid,clean sound. Wenge keeps things tight and solid.