1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What goes where on my mixer - Why can't I get headphones to work

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BH12neil, Jul 26, 2012.

1. I hope somebody out there can put me out of my misery, I am having trouble setting up my mixer to do the following:-

~ To practice in silence with headphones
    ~ To be able to link to my pc so that I can use Songsterr and drum beats on the internet to jam too through headphones

The attachment shows the layout of my mixer so that all you good folks have an idea of the ports available. I have a balanced DI on my amp so have run an XLR cable from that to Mic 1 on the mixer. I have had a cable made to run from my PC to the mixer, the pc mini jack I have inserted into the blue output in the back of my Dell computer and the 1/4 jacks into mixer with the white jack inserted into L and red jack inserted into R of the inputs marked 5-6 on the notepad. Headphones obviously into the phones socket.

The result; sound comes out of the cabs, nothing through the headphones, sound comes through the PC speakers but not through the headphones. I must be missing something really simple here but for the life of me I can't see what it may be so all help from you technical types out there would be really appreciated. Please help me to understand your advice by offering it in the simplest possible terms because I will freely admit to finding technicalities difficult to comprehend.

Thanks in advance of some help.

BH12neil

Attached Files:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Doesn't look like you can get the main mix to the monitor section, which is odd. Try engaging the aux send to monitor button and turn up the aux send on the channels.

3. Thanks lowfreq33, I will have a go at doing that in the morning and see what happens. I'll report back for the benefit of other people who might find this thread in the future.

BH12neil

4. Ok, I've acted upon lowfreq33's advice and still no sound through the headphones other than a faint hiss which tells me that at least power must be getting through, still sound from my bass can only be heard via the cabs, same with the PC, sound from the speakers but nothing through headphones.

The mixer appears to be working because as I play lighting on the notepad comes on. It has occurred to me that perhaps I have the wrong 1/4 inch adapter attached to the headphone plug, the plug on the headphones is a mini jack so I required an adapter to upgrade that - can anyone show me an illustration of what I should have so that I can compare. Thinking about cables, the XLR cable I am using is brand new so in theory it shouldn't be that and in any case because lighting on the mixer is working when I play I can only presume that there is a signal getting through.

Turning to the amp cabling, the cables I am using are an instrument cable into the amp input and the XLR in the DI socket, so that seems simple enough.

Any other thoughts and advice would be really appreciated as this problem is slowly driving me round the twist.

BH12neil

5. you could go direct to the board and skip the bass head. Yes you have a impendance missmatch but donĀ“t worry it will work well.

6. Thanks for your post Emibass, your comments are noted. The only problem with that is if I do it that way surely I will lose the option of using my pedalboard effects? I would much rather try to solve the issues that stop me from using the mixer in the way I should be able to.

All future comments really appreciated.

BH12neil

7. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    I'm assuming the headphones get their signal from the monitor circuit.

Are your PC speakers attached to the mixer, or are they still on the PC?

If they are on the mixer, try switching them over from the Mix L/R outputs to the Mon L/R outputs, just to see if there's a signal on the monitor circuit.

Another thing you can try: turn every Aux knob halfway up, including the Aux send and the Mon knob (next to the headphones symbol). Engage the Aux to Mon button.

8. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I have the same Soundcraft Notepad mixer. Let's first see if you have the right headphone adapter. I believe it should look something like this. The end on the right side which you cannot see, is a female 1/8" that will accept your headphones mini jack.

14 Male To 18 Female Jack Audio Studio Earphone Microphone TRS Adapter.

9. Thanks for your comments oerk, I'll try what you propose and post back.

Cheers,

BH12neil

10. Thanks for your post garack7, now you might be my saviour a fellow Soundcraft 102 user is just what I need I think. I've checked the adapter and yes it appears to be the same as the one you illustrated in your post, so that is a good start. What's next?

Cheers,

BH12neil

11. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I would try what oerk mentioned if you haven't already. If your speakers are working and are hooked up to the mixer, there should be no reason you can't get the same out of the headphones, unless there is a defect somewhere in the chain.

12. Zabbo1978

Zabbo1978

Aug 9, 2011
    Maryland
    I would expect the blue jack on the back of your PC is a line input and not an output. But I could be wrong. They usually use green for output.

Also, may I suggest plugging your PC into the "2T RTN" inputs? This way you can use the "2T RTN TO MAIN" button (button in) to route the signal to your main mix. With the "2T RTN TO MON" and "AUX TO MON" buttons out this should send the main mix to the monitor section. At least that is how I read the block diagram in the manual (http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/fetchfile.aspx?cat_id=user_guides&id=3079).

-Rob

13. Thanks for all your posts, your advice is much appreciated. I have now sourced the problem and Zabbo1978 wins the prize, I was using the wrong input at the back of the PC.

So I have an additional question to ask, the the green output at the back of the PC is currently being used for my external speaker and bass box system which connects via a three way splitter into the green output. Clearly it would be far more convenient to have all the cabling to the rear and to not have to manually change plugs when I choose to use the mixer?

Anyone have any ideas to cover come this, an illustration of a suitable component would be really good and would make it a lot easier for me to understand.

BH12neil

14. Bump for some suggestions?

BH12neil

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you using a stereo 1/8" cable? I doubt it is that it but you never know.

16. Zabbo1978

Zabbo1978

Aug 9, 2011
    Maryland
    I would connect your PC speaker system to the mixer. You could use the "MIX L and R" or "MON L and R" outputs to do this. Of course you will need another cable or adapter. Something like this would do it for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP434/d...&keywords=stereo+cable+female+1/8+to+dual+1/4

Does your speaker system have its own volume control? When you want to practice silently just turn the speaker volume down. When you want to listen out loud turn them back up and turn down the mixer channel with your bass.

You can do a ton of things with that little mixer. Did you end up using the Two Track Return input or one of the Stereo Channel inputs like you originally planned?

17. Ok I have now resolved part one of my problem and have successfully managed to connect my PC up to the mixer and all is working well; part two of the problem is that I can not work out how to silence my amp into headphones. I have a XLR lead running from the balanced DI in my amp into one of the MIC sockets on the mixer. I am then using the amp in the normal way, cable from guitar through pedal board and into INPUT. Just for reference, and I don't know whether its relevant, but I have rack units that are cabled to and from the amps FX send and return.

Common sense tells me that I have this right but sound continues to come from the cabs and I can't find a way to re-route sound to phones. Ironically the reason I bought the mixer in the first place was to ensure that I could practice in silence and at the moment, at least, that is the one thing I am unable to do.

I am sure I am missing something really simple, can someone point out the obvious to me.

I would really appreciate a little guidance on this.

BH12neil

18. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Put a headphone adapter (or a junk set of headphones) into the headphone jack on the bass amp. This will tell it not to send signal to the speakers.