1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What goes with a walnut top?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Egbert89, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
    Hey guys,
    I need more perspective on combining woodtypes for the looks (top+pg).

I've been gassing for a Maruszczyk built Jazz bass.
    And I've fallen in love with this kind walnut top http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/basses/m-elwood/4-string/782-elwood-l-4a-walnut110335

However, a jazz bass without a PG looks a bit naked IMHO, so I've been thinking what would make a nice PG to go with a walnut top? Already googled and saw a lot of shiny black PGs but I'm not especially fond of those. I do really love nice warm colours so I've been thinking about a mahogany pg??
    Has anyone here ever built a bass with a walnut top and put at PG on it that isn't black? :p

2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Pearloid here... I was looking for some contrast.

DSC04391.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Black

5. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
    The pearloid looks great especially with the rosewood fingerboard, I should say thought that I'll be going with a maple neck/fingerboard :) Beautifull bass never the less Exalt!!

Ok paisley never even crossed my mind :bag: could anyone photoshop that on a walnut top? :p

6. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
  7. Harry Cahyadi

Harry Cahyadi Commercial User

Apr 11, 2013
    Clayton, VIC, Australia
    C Basses Owner & Builder
    Speaking about wood pg, I have been thinking (haven't got time to do it) of doing a wood pg (and wood control plate) with contrasting coloured exotic wood, but still in the same colour pallet.
    If I had walnut top, I might have been thinking ziricote or mac ebony.

However, instead of screwing it up to the top wood, I have been thinking to inlay them into it, with a thin maple/bright coloured veneer as their outline.

It will give an impression that the bass has pg and control plate, but it will sit flush with the top.

It has to be done carefully to achieve seamless joint.

Just an idea...

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If the bass had an ebony or ziricote fingerboard then a nice maple pickguard would look great on that, but given the maple fingerboard, I am seeing an ebony pickguard assuming a wide enough piece can be obtained. Walnut is a great top wood, and if the figuring is real nice I would not put a pickguard on it at all; if the walnut is fairly plain looking than a pickguard may look good, but it should be a very dark one to support the look of the walnut and as mentioned above to add some contrast outside of that provided by the maple neck. A plastic pickguard of any kind would detract from the high end nature of this bass IMO.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What the hell is that? It's glorious.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Like marshmallow floating in hot chocolate. :)

11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I admit, although I usually shun black pickguards (reminds me of the yucky 70's Fenders), I have paired up several of my walnut basses with B/W/B pickguards. And one with a vintage 80's brass pickguard.

Yeah, that walnut-topped Mustang is about the best looking short scale Fender (ish?) I've ever seen.

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    personally I like matte black pg's on dark wood. just feels organic to me

13. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/JBassPickguard.aspx

say: Parchment
    or perhaps:Vintage Pearl

but, naked works too, if the grain is interesting enough.

Before you get a pickguard, see what the Bass looks like first, you may just fall in love with the grain.

14. B.I.N.G.O.

7457_NBD_outside_pics_015_1.

:D

15. DSC01245_zps5bbef567.

Love my inlaid flush mounted walnut "pickguard".

16. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  17. Wow, that is GORGEOUS.

18. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Marzipan cake with a Walnut Top.

luebeck_marzipan_cake_with_walnuts.

:bag:

19. I'd go with a clear 'guard. Or, maybe a light-smoked grey 'guard. That'd look really nice. I just hate the thought of covering a beautiful wood with something.

20. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    That bass looks pretty complete as it sits, to my eye!