What Goofy Features Most Attracted You As a Young Bassist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was a young teen when Stanley Clarke burst onto the scene and I think that he and his Alembics made me fetishize two octave necks. Never mind that playing the main riff of "School Days" was about all the Stanley Clarke I knew for years. Given what I actually played, the Rickenbacker 400 that was my first nice bass was more than enough. What semi-useless or goofy features most appealed to you guys?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    More strings. I'm STILL attracted to more strings! I NEED MORE STRINGS!!!

3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Green, and more green basses...

Oh wait, useless? I don't know...
  4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Probably the most attactive feature that attracted me to my bass is that it was cheap, it sounded good, it had the Peavey name on it, and it looked good. I can't be bothered with more than 4 strings, some quilted top maple or something dumb like that, or any extras. I started playing because it was fun. Also, I can't understand why anyone could possibly want to spend money on a finish other than black and white or black. I wear a chain wallet, I have a tendency to thrash around a bit, and I can't be bothered with worrying about "Oh my god, I got a scratch." My bass has more scratched and gouges than I can count. And some are visible from the nosebleeds. But if it sounds good, and it plays good, it's fine with me. In other words, get talent before you start spending the big bucks on some gimmicky crap someone made famous, or some finish that costs extra.
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

When I had like two months of playing, back in 1986, the only big music store in my town at the time brought a silver Riverhead bass, which was a japanese Steinberger copy. It was exposed at the store along with the matching guitar (even the same color). I've never seen something like that before: A headless bass with no body! Having a Peavey T-40, I desperately wanted this novelty but couldn't afford it at the time. Both instruments were bought at the same time by the bassist and guitarist of a popular local band and that made them even more popular.
  6. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I can't stand headstockless guitars or basses. Makes the sexiness of the guitar go away. I will say that I am considering building a bass by myself, but robbing from a mad cheapo bass I bought at a yardsale for the neck and pickups. I'm thinking of going flying v shape, and I might look for a floating trem to put on this one. If you consider that a gimmicky feature.
  7. ever since I heard that fretless break in Paul Simon's "You can call me Al", I was enthralled by the fretless.

Then I saw a friend's "project" band (they all played in other bands) play a cover version of the song and the bass player absolutely NAILED the solo :hyper:.

From that day, I wanted to play fretless. I started playing bass around 1990 (was a drummer before this) It wasn't until late 2004 that I actually bought played my first fretless bass, and I'm loving every minute of it.
  8. That damn Fender decal on that Fender headstock. The thing still haunts me. *shudder*
  9. flea naked....................:ninja:

no it was actually the glam of bootsy...i mean, how can he not make you want to play bass
  10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I still am a young bassist, but... What I always liked (and still do) was Les Claypool specifically. He may not be held in high regard by so-called "real musicians" but he sure as hell made me look at the bass and say "I want to play THAT!" And he's pretty goofy and gimmicky, so I guess it counts for this thread.
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For me it's been all about the goofy features. My lifelong background is electronic music, where novelty and unusual features are the deal-makers. So when I first got into bass, I focused on weird body shapes, non-standard scale lengths, glittery Italian coverings, stereo outputs, and pretty much anything that wasn't just a practical rhythm instrument. It's taken me a few years to buckle down and start to take the workman-like practical aspect of bass as seriously as it deserves.
  12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    My first bass was a mim p, but for a year (maybe more) after I started playing bass, I was convinced that a lefty jazz bass turned upside down ( I am a righty) would be the coolest looking bass ever. I had no idea about neck dive, or hittng the controls with my forearm.

Thank heavens I lost that idea before my 5th year playing electric bass when I made my second electric bass purchase.
  13. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I used to think more knobs = better. So I wanted a bass with as many knobs as you could give me.
  14. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    brass nuts. Back in the day--the day Stanley was playing "School Days"--brass parts were all the rage. It was kind of the san fran hippie aesthetic. Who all remembers brass nuts? I think Ken Smith basses still have them

Badass bridge. I bought one of those things, put it on my pbass, and spent years trying to convince myself it made a difference. It didn't. Years later I put the old bridge back on, sold the "badass." It was bad alright--it made an ass of me.
  15. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I bought my Dingwall about 8 months after starting to play. The fanned frets really attracted me, as much as an asthetic as a function of design. Turned out they were a lot more usefull than I originally thought, but at the time, it was as much about looks as anything else hehe.
  16. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    No crap.
    That's the exact solo that inspired me to play bass! the live in central park version to be exact.

For me, it was as many damned knobs and switches as you could fit on the front of the bass! More clicky things obviously meant better electronics! :rolleyes:
  17. I have to admit, even to this day, Phil Lesh's old bass(the first alembic prototype with 50+ knobs i belive) is still pretty freaking tempting.
  18. Man i LOVE green basses!
    I thought black:ninja: , shiny, pointy pseudo Gothic styled basses and guitars with black:ninja: hardware, black:ninja: straps, black:ninja: clothes, black:ninja: hair, Thousand yard stare, were the only way forward...
  19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Rosewood fretboards. I still have a bit of distaste for maple boards because all the cheap basses around back when I started had those, haha. Getting a rosewood bass meant you made it "big time." :p
  20. I love Anything looks remotely like Fender jazz.

lakland , musicman , sadowsky,

its that offset look at the bottom of the bass .

mmmmm love it!