Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What GOTCHAS with selling overseas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slombovia, Dec 6, 2004.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    What are the difficulties and potential pitfalls of selling / buying used gear overseas?

Thanks,
    Tom H.

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The biggest pitfall when buying from an overseas seller is currency exchange. If the seller doesn't use PayPal, and insists on their currency, you can take a big hit on exchange rates and fees.

And of course accountability. If you send money overseas and get nothing in return, enforcement is kinda tough. You can use an escrow service if you're nervous (see escrow.com as an example). Escrow is where you use a third party to hold the money until the sale is completed satisfactorily.

As a seller, it's common for those hassles to fall on the buyer, so you're pretty safe there. But when shipping something overseas, you have to fill out some extra forms, like the customs declaration. The buyer might want you to put particular information on that form so it makes things easier for them, but I haven't run into that yet. Overseas sellers always mark the stuff they're sending me as "gift" -- I think that reduces the chance the item will be treated as commercial and thus get taxed extra?

Cheers!

ltt

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Misc.

4. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    ...and I have told him about my concerns. He is inexperienced with this as well. So anybody else have input?

Thanks,
    Tom H. (in USA)

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I sold a bass head to a guy in Germany a few years back. It made it a little easier because his bank cut a check to me in U.S. funds, so all the exchange stuff happened over there. However, the main problem was customs taxes and the like.

Since I was the shipper, I didn't have problems, but apparently it took this guy about 2 weeks to get it through customs.

Hope this helped.

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Thanks!