Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What guage of wire from head to cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MorganM, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I know the smaller the guage the better, but what is a guage I should stay below?

Thanks

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont know if you have it right or wrong. The thicker the wire the better. Thicker wire has a smaller number. e.g 12 gauge is thinner than 8 gauge.

3. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    yes I understand a smaller guage is a thicker wire and vice versa

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Awesome link, Mudbass. Looks to me that a 14 ga. cable is sufficient for a 4-ohm (or greater) load out to 50 feet. I guess my 14 ga. is overkill, I don't use speaker cable greater than 10 feet.

5. I use the Pro Co Fat Max...
    ...the biggest there is.

8 gauge speaker wire.

And I only use a 3' length.

It leaves no doubt.

[​IMG]

The only place I've been able to find it is at:

www.sweetwater.com

Great Stuff & Very Highly Recommended!!!

6. And what guage wire is used inside the cab between the connector and the driver? Then what gauge wire is used from the driver connectors to the voice coil?

Yes, these are short lengths.

The benefit of thick wire is reducing the resistance over longer runs. The JBL manual shows the miniscule amount of resistance in detail. Common 18 gauge lamp cord is only 0.315 ohms for a 50-foot run.

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Bgavin, as you were saying, is there a difference in the size wire inside the cab. I run 12g. from the head to the cab. But I looked inside my 4/10 and I can't believe how thin the wire is. Yes, the wire run is short, but would it improve my sound to go to a thicker gauge wire.

Thanks George

edit: also Bruce, if you put a meter across an 8 ohm speaker what should you read. Im getting 6.5 ohms on mine.

8. Good link, lots of useful stuff there!