1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what GUITAR is this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by game_freak24, Jun 21, 2007.

1. game_freak24

game_freak24

Dec 4, 2006
  2. It's a Parker Fly.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Parker Fly... http://www.parkerguitars.com/

richard bona uses one, i have seen several guitarists on DVDs and tv performances use them. Marcus Miller's guitarist on the Master of all trades used one.

4. game_freak24

game_freak24

Dec 4, 2006
    thanks for that :)

5. they weigh something like 3-4 lbs.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They have a glass composite fingerboard, too! They're very cool guitars. Too bad the bassses didn't come out as visually pleasing...

7. pom134

pom134

Apr 2, 2007
    guy i know owns a recording studio, but also plays alot of gigs. he was using one and the whole thing just bent in half, completely ruined. I guess instead of a conventional truss they use a metal plate that acts as a spring. He called up parker and they wouldnt do anything for them, they probably knew it happened kinda often and just blew him off. sucks.

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    ^^ I've heard Parker actually has AWESOME customer service.

David Isen from HORSE the Band uses them.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Actually, the neck and the back of the Fly guitar body is a one-piece layer of composite material and takes all of the stress from the strings. The wooden top of the guitar body is there just to resonate, and is too thin to contribute any stiffness. It's that construction scheme that makes Parkers light and resonant, but I imagine that if there's a flaw in the composite material, the guitar will just "fold in half," as you said.

Parker makes conventional all-wood guitars, which are heavier, but probably more resistant to abuse.

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

This was a bass forum the last time I looked.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The above is simply not true. Parker guitars have conventional truss rods - the tremelo uses a flat leaf spring. The necks are made of wood, as is the body. The back of the neck and body are stiffened using a sort of woven glass composite which in effect adds density to the body without the weight.

I owned a Parker for 10 years, and it was one of the sturdiest instruments I've ever had. Brilliant design, with only one serious flaw in my opion: the upper strap horn. As I started getting older and more mature in my playing, I started raising the guitar higher and higher. Once it was at "proper" playing height, the upper horn kept jabbing me in the ribs.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021