Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Guitar Polish/Cleaner Are You Using?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jun 11, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm just curious to know what everyone is using to keep their babies looking good. I've only tried about 4 options up to this point and here they are in the order that I have tried them.

Fender Guitar Polish
    Initially, I liked this product. The more I used it, the harder it seemed to be to get rid of all of those little smudges that accumulate from use. After a point my finishes were always kind of dull and blurred.

Herco Instrument Polishing Cloth
    Bad decision with this choice. It's a treated cloth and I could not get a good shine even after using a clean cloth as a follow up. The packing states that it "Works well on all metal and wooden instruments." Take my advice please. Don't try this stuff on you bass! Oh yeah, it also smells terrible!

Peavey Guitar Polish Formula
    This stuff is great! It removes smudges well and leaves a very nice shine. It's also the least expensive in my area as I can get a 4 oz. bottle for $2.99 USD or less. The only problem is that the dealers sometimes don't have it in stock and I'm forced to try something else. :(

Planet Waves Guitar Polish Spray
    I just got a bottle of this and so far it's alright. I need to use it a bit longer to see if my opinion changes. It cleans well, leaves a good shine and it's definitely the best smelling out the ones that I've tried.

I've heard good things about the polish "Virtuoso" but ten bucks is a bit steep for a bottle of polish to me. That is, unless there's just something about it that is supremely better than the options that I had good experiences with above. The luthier that I use told me to stay away from Gibson products but his reasons escape me at the moment. I'll have to ask him again. I'd love to hear about other options that have worked well. Thanks.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have used most of the formentioned, I have found Gibson makes a great polish, the one n the orange and white spray bottle, D'Andrea makes a decent polish also.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Warwick Finisher Wax on my Thumb B/O.
    Just a slight bit of Windex on my Pedulla with a soft rag.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll have to ask the luthier to explain why he feels so strongly about Gibson's stuff. I don't think that I seen D'Andrea. I'll post more about the Gibson thing when I get an answer from him.

That's interesting John. It's obviously something that works for you but I would think that an ammonia based liquid like that would have negative effects on a wood finish. That's just my speculation and it's not based on any scientific findings.

5. for the cort : Warwick surface finisher ( a.k.a. bienwachs )

for the Squier : gibson guitar polish

for the freboards : Collins griffbret Öl

:D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I got some "Virtuoso Polish" for my older basses....no carnuba wax (most have that wax), no haze, great stuff - http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

On the Skyline, I just use GHS to take out the scratches, which is what Lakin advised.

7. I've used Martin Guitar polish on my Takamine acoustic guitar, but it seems too "soapy" on my finished basses (maybe I'm using too much?) I'll watch this thread with interest.

For my natural oil hand-rubbed F Bass, I am am only using elbow grease and a felt cloth - I am curious to hear about the Warwick polish, which sounds like it is aimed at oil finishes - right??

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Wow! Gibson's polish looks like it's a popular choice. I emailed the person that told me to stay away from it. I wish that I could remember his reasons.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That would be true, but, the Buzz has a Diamond Coat finish on the neck and body. It is a polyester-based finish that is 80% as hard as glass.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's all becoming clearer to me now. :D

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I use a good car wax (NOT polish!) on my new instruments when I first get them in, to help preserve the factory finish.

After that, it's nothing but a little "fogging" from my breath and elbow grease, per Dan Erlewine's book.

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Super-Sensitive polish(available from Southwest Strings). Its the same stuff I use on my standup and it is "off the hook" good and lasts.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use Auro Hartöl (hard oil?) for new finishes and Warwick beeswax for polishing.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You're using Turtle Wax Chucko? Is Turtle Wax even consiudered good car wax? :D I've heard of some people using Meguiars, which is a paste wax, so that ones not that surprising. Which of Dan's books are you referring to? I've got the 2nd edition of the "Guitar Player Repair Guide."

Hey Jontom,

What does that polish that you use cost? Do you have a URL for Southwest Strings? Thanks.

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I used Mother's because I had it handy. We're talking high grade, non-abrasive, carnauba wax formula here. I wouldn't think of using Turtle Wax!

Meguiar's is pretty good too, if you pick the right one - they have lots of choices.

That's the one.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Chuck. I'll stay away from that Turtle Wax! ;)

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Super-Sensitive goes for $4.10 a 2 oz. bottle. No URL, just a phone #. (800)528-3470. Its item #SS920.

18. I use Mr Sheen furniture polish. Cheap and does the job nicely!

:D:D

Merls

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the input Jontom!