Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What guitarists ask you..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have stumbled on these questions by guitarists numerous times now. Especially coming from the young(as in, my age) thinstringers, it's very common:

[conversation one]
    Geetarist: You play something?
    Me: Yep, I play bass.
    Geetarist: Um, so do you play with fingers or with a pick?

Why is this, is playing with fingers somehow a mark of a good bassist? (Not on my case anyways! :p ) Are pick-wielders just considered failed geetarists? Or are they just looking for something in common?

[conversation two]
    Geetarist: Is that.. is that a fretless bass?!
    Me: Yep, it is.
    Geetarist: Cool! Um, so is it easier to play than fretted?

Now this is just what I don't get. Why would a fretless bass be more easier to play than standard one? Violins aren't fretted, and are they easy to play?

Has anyone noticed anything similar coming from other musicians in your neck of woods? :confused:

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Yes, for conversation one.

As for converstaion two, they just don't understand how much harder to stay in tune.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My favorite is when gutarists say "you know, I can play the bass line for(insert song title here)...I could be really good at bass if I wanted to be..."

4. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    Actually, I've tried fretless, and it seems harder to me.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've gotten the "fingers or pick" one. Three guitarists have asked me "Can you play slap?," as that seems to be one of the few things that make bass seem viable to some newbie guitfiddlers. And since I got my seven-string, I've had several ask me "Do you use all of those strings?" Then again, I've had a bass player ask me that, too.

6. Usually, my guitarist just asks "Can you stand a little further back from the front of the stage? You're blocking everyone's view of me".

7. The one i get from my guitarist, when he looks across to see me grooving about his riff.. "What are you playing there? it doesnt look the same as what i am playing"

I say "does it sound bad?"

he replies: "no it sounds good but its not what Iam playing". :p

Suck eggs

:D:D

Merls

8. Dude! Can you play some Seinfeld?

9. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    "why didn`t you started playing guitar? i mean bass is cool, but..."

:D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes and Yes!!! ;)

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Guess Im a partially failed geetarist!!!! ;)

12. How can I be a failed guitarist if I never started playing guitar? :confused:

was Paul McCartney a failed guitarist?

later
    -wilks

13. Bruce Lindfield

Actually he was - they all started on guitar but Paul drew the short straw and had to play bass - besides he played with his fingers then!!

14. Bruce Lindfield

I am glad to hear you have accepted this and come to terms with it!! :D

Now you have come to this realisation, you will eventually be weaned off these small pieces of plastic and won't need to rely on them any longer!

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Steve Swallow

16. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - a great musician spoiled by small pieces of plastic. I really hate the tone he gets- sometimes it sounds like a synth attempting a bass sound and for me this detracts from every recording I've heard of his playing and made it unlistenable for me - sounds completely inappropriate in a Jazz context! :(

17. hmmm
    i feel like a dumbass

i stand corrected

-wilks

18. Well, technically one of those is a request, but it's still great! As is the quesition.

I gave up looking for a good response to either of those, hence the Rickenbacker/Ampeg love. Solo the bridge pickup on this bad boy and you instantly erase anything remotely resembling competition...

--jeff

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Until the sound engineer pipes up...:)

20. the first time i played a fretless I fell in love with it. just some used yamaha fretless but i relaly enjoyed playing it. especially since i have small girley hands so i do tend to make fret buzz which annoys me to my death. i found it easier.