Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happend with the new Tobias?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Anyone here have one of the Gibson era,i try a search here but i can,t find post about them,Growler,Killer B and the pthers models,they are goods or not,anyone have sound clips of themi know they never more going to sound like the early Tobias but i imagine they sound nice....anyone have one? :confused: is only curiosity,for me they look just fine instruments. :confused:

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a killer B 6 string. Its well made, plays great and sounds "killer"!. Good bass for the money.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I used to have a 90's Killer B 5. It sounded and played very good, very nice neck. I have played Growlers, I did not like the neck as much. This weekend I played a Gibson Basic 4 string (though Guitar Center thought it was a 1987 Clasic). I didn't like it. The neck wasn't as nice as on the Killer B, and it just sounded like a plain ordinary bass. It did not sound as good as a $500 Schecter. Just a lifeless thump sound.

4. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've had a gibson era growler for 8 years now and I still love everytime I play it. Its definetly an entry level highend bass, with a strong slap tone, but you can eq that out. I paid $1200 a GC in 1997. I see them on ebay sometimes but its hard to get a feel of what they go for. I can't fathom mine being worth more than $700 at the most (the most). But I've never thought about selling it either. Like I said I love it, but I'm not sure how "cool" a gibson era bass is, but oh well.

5. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    BTW, MTD is the New Tobias. Post Gibson era.

6. I owned a gibson era tobias grolwer 5 for a few weeks before i returned it. It was absolutly beautiful, but it didn't play or soundgreat at all. the e and a strings were MUCH louder than the other three, the asymetric neck was sort of weird, and it didn't sound too great. The lowb was also very weak and flabby. It just wasn't easy or satisfying to play and didn't sound good enough to spend 1600 on. People often compare it to the Singray 5 because they have similar specs. I ended up buying a Stingray 5 and it just blew the growler away. anyway thats my $0.02

7. I don't know too much about it, but I don't think this is the case. I was under the impression that Gibson bought Tobias and Michael Tobias himself went and made MTD. So MTD is not post gibson (as far as im aware of tobias is still owned by gibson.), its a seperate company.

8. I think that it was literally meant that MTD are the post gibson Tobiases. Reference is made to the fact that the original builder, Mike Tobias, is now building MTD basses and that if you want the Tobias experience, so to speak, your choice is to either find a pre-Gibson (or pre Nashville) Tobias or to the new instruments (MTD) also made by Mike.

Or to put it bluntly, you want a real Tobias, get an MTD.

Disclaimer: By the above I'm not saying that MTDs are identical to the pre-gibson Tobias. Mike Tobias has moved on, as artists tend to do, and has developed his craft further, or at least in a different direction. But quality, attention to detail and customer service is right up there with Fodera, Nordstrand, Benevante and Ken Smith Basses.

Run a search here on TB and you'll find all the info you want.

9. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I owned a Killer B made in 1997, and I have a friend with one made in the same year. Both very nice basses. Good tone and feel. I think things have REALLY gone downhill with those basses now, so I'd recommend finding a used 90's model.

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yeap....you right,the real Tobias are the MTD,s series of the beauty Miachael Tobias hand crafted,the Gibson only have the name Tobias but Michael dont toush them since 1992,is only the name,Michael sell his brand company Tobias Basses.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yes,i try one Tobias,they lok nice,maybe sound very good too.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    The new Tobias' are nice looking basses. But much like everything at Gibson, you are really paying for the name. Because those basses might be thee most overpriced bass on the market, with not much to offer as far as build quality and the sound. You can make an argument for the quality, and maybe the three new ones that I played were exceptions. The ones I played had minor cosmetic flaws with the wood and frets in the fret board. You could literally see remnances of glue coming out of the frets and settling on the fretboard, as well as a pretty loose necks on some of the bolt on models that I tried. One was "The Classic", the other two was the "Growler" But as far as the sound, I plugged em into a boogie 4x10 and the sound was loud, but really bland. The higher strings sounded too "twangy". But maybe I'm wrong when I say that I've played better $500 basses.

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    shhhhhhh guys shhhhhh i find a nice Tobias in the internet for only $800..shhhhhhhh :cool:

14. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Pass the Blunt of truth.
    MTD's=The sweetness

15. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    BTW, Wadge, the most inspiriring academic teacher I ever had in my life was from Malta. I was a horrible student but, in his class I always truly earned my A's. His last name was Pisani.