Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to Access-bass.com?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Apparently, Adrian's internet domain name "expired", and in that second, some 3rd party nabbed it up. Adrian and I were thinking there are probably businesses out there that track these licenses and grab them up as soon as "the meter expires".

This company that grabbed Access-bass later tried to extort Adrian for money to buy it back-- this appears to be the case with Access-Bass-

Adrian states that he never received notice of any expiration - so Access-bass.com is temporarily down. Access-Bass is however, alive and well and in business-
    Adrian is thinking about chaning domain names so keep your heads up for the new address. In the meantime, if you want to contact Adrian, his phone still works!! 1 800 361 9927 - and by email at
    bassguy325@lvcm.com

FYI

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    That really sucks. I'm glad he did not pay them a penny! I will be watching for the new site Adrian.
    Thanks for the info John.

Dan

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If access-bass.com has been stolen, and if Adrian received no expiration notice from the registrar, I think that on a legal point of view the registrar has his own responsibility in this affair.

4. The registrar should have been emailing the administrative contact listed in the domain registration - and I don't believe you can use an access-bass.com email address to register access-bass.com

Anyone know if Adrian has been checking the email address the domain is registered to?

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thanks, John - for bringing this info to TalkBass - i was hesitant because i didnt want to seem like i was spamming for biz--
    someone did indeed "buy" my domain name of access-bass.com - i never received any notice of the expiration- thing ius, i will be the first to admit, im dumb about these things.. so i never saw it coming.
    the domain name is now owned by some co. and they say its not for sale- however " in good faith, we sometimes entertain offers" - good faith, yeah, right!!!
    my business is so small and my clientele such a tightly knitted community that i didnt see nor am i willing or able to pay them ridiculous amounts of $$-
    i offered them $100 to get my name back and made it clear that any more and i would just re register as a different domain name- They responded that they had already invested $250 in fees for the acquisition of the name- registration of a name costs $35..
    so i reregistered as
    www.accessbass.com ( without the dash ) and hopefully the site will be bacl up at this address very soon, maybe even later today.. i have receieved a lot of very helpful emails from fellow basists and i want to thanks everyone who has contatcted me and given advice and expressed sympathy-- but i could only prosecute if it were free-- i refuse to let this guy cost me a penny- its been a pain reconfiguring, but worse things could happen, i know... i will post on this thread if its ok with the mods so those interested can find the site again--
    painn is . now i have to get ne biz cards- change my bass Player ad-- i even incorporated as Access-Bass-
    so yes, id like to meet out domain hijacking frined in a dark alley sometime and show him a little " good faith"
    but it'll be ok, i still wished him a Merry Christmas!!;)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm thinking that your brand of "good faith" doesn't involve a hearty handshake and a cold beer.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oh, i might have a cold beer after the beati.. er, i mean, meeting!!!;)
    i really am tryoing to be Christian about this.. but it angers me seriously that there are predators like this-- and there are many worse people-
    i felt like my home was invaded-- not a good feeling at all!!-

8. Guys,
    I'm writing this at 1:30 central and www.accessbass.com is partially up and running. Some pages are up already!!

Hey Adrian, here's your chance to start the website over with lower prices!!;)

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    my techie Mac guru friend is coming tonight to fix the broken links-- heck, we might even add some animation!!
    that will surely jack UP the prices!!;)
    i will redo portions of the site, but to begin with, im trying to get it just as it was!! what a pain!!
    thanks again!- peace, Adrian

10. How about a full redesign to go along with the new domain? :D

Truthfully, I hate domain name speculators as well. I'm really not sure if there that there is anything you can do about this as I'm hazy with domain name regulations. Given the situation, I bet whoever bought the name won't even make use of it anyway.

Perhaps it's time to update that link in your .sig. :) Best of luck, man! Let me know if you get any used Roscoes.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yep- on my way to update the link now-- after all this, if i have any energy- i will work onn a redesign- but sometimes, its better to leave it be- i know Fodera tried the fancy wite and went back to their old one --thanks! Adrian

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how about posting the contact information about the jerk who jacked your name. we could send him a horse's head or something.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dammit JT, you must leave you mafia days behind! Repeat after me: Ohm, ohm, ohm.........

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  15. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here's a bit more info - this is from the public WHOIS record:

Domain name: access-bass.com

Registrant Contact:
    NA
    DomainReg LLC (johblac@hotmail.com)
    +1.8136765156
    FAX: +1.8136765156
    PO Box 21432
    Bradenton, FL 34204
    US

This also makes for interesting reading: http://www.searchengineforums.com/Forum40/HTML/000015.html

Seems this guy is involved in all sorts of shady business.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nobody, I mean nobody messes with bass players.:mad:

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Thanks, Rick!- some broken links should be fixed tonight- peace!- A.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thats just crazy.. Don't you get sent notification if your domain is going to expire? In any event, that sucks.. but atleast you got a new site up and running already. I'll show that guy a thing or two.. just wait.. I have this friend, who for $75 will beat him with a baseball bat...... maybe $80 he has to pay for gas you know

19. Make sure you check the WHOIS for your expiration.

My wife has a web domain (no site up yet) and we got no notification of its expiration. Luckily I remember it was early this month and renewed it the day before it expired.

Adrian, I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I suggest using VeriSign, because they only charge $15/yr for the 2nd and 3rd years when you move the site registration to them.

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Verisgn is just about the most expensive registrar there is. We charge $99 for 10 years, and send out 3 expiration notices to make sure that what happened to Adrian doesn't happen.