Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to Chris Stambaugh's site?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by niomosy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Wonder what happened?

Domain Name: STAMBAUGHDESIGNS.COM
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Updated Date: 09-dec-2004
    Creation Date: 08-dec-2000
    Expiration Date: 08-dec-2005

2. looks like he forgot to pay the bill....

3. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a squatter grabbed it as they've got it until Dec 9, 2005.

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Chris is building my fretted bass right now, and I haven't gotten an email response from him for a while. Two or three emails have gone unanswered, although he doesn't seem to check his email every day. Wonder if the domain snatcheroo affected his email, since it was connected to his site (stambaugh@stambaughdesigns.com). Hmmmm. My bass is just about set to ship. Maybe I'll check directory assistance and give him a call, now that his site is down. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

5. I've heard from people in the same situation...the billing gnomes at his web-host forgot to bill him, and he forgot it was time to re-up.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If anyone needs his phone number shoot me a PM. He lives 15 minutes away from me.

Cheers.
    Andy.

7. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Andy:

Just sent you a PM. I also think I renamed Chris "Stanbaugh" in my message. Yowza. Stan baugh your man.... Hey, as I noted in my previous post, Chris is just finishing my bass, and I haven't heard a peep in a while. Now this deal with the website. The mind goes places in a situation like this, and they ain't pretty. Shop explode? Chris abducted by aliens? I would like to contact Chris to see what's up with my about-to-ship bass, my second Stammie. Thanks much.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'm sure he's fine. Sometimes his machine gets turned off at home. Not sure about his site but hopefully he can get that taken care of without a hitch. I'm sure that's why you can't email him also. Another builder friend of mine designs his website and I think that Chris's emails go through the site.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just spoke to a friend who's site is hosted by the same person as Stambaugh's. His site is down as well. Just wanted to let everyone know that Chris hasn't disapeared from the face of the planet, just his site.........

10. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Yes, just got off the phone with Chris, so he's not being held hostage inside a big bag on Santa's sleigh or anything. What others suspected is true. No one told his web person that the domain registration was expiring. It did. Now he's working to get the site back up, negotiating to retain the URL, and he's hopeful that will be accomplished in the very near future. Whew. My bass ships next week, so that's particularly good news to me. I love my Stambaugh fretless and can't wait to have a fretted counterpart.

11. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I mean a picture of your fretless bass? :bassist:

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The person who hosts the site just told me that everything is taken care of and the site should be up within a couple of days.

13. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    An image of my fretless is on Chris' (currently invisible) site, so when it comes back up, you can check it out there. It's under Customer Photos, a gorgeous figured black walnut four string with Macassar ebony board and very subtle bubinga lines. I'd love to post an image of the new one as well, but for some reason, even when saved at the lowest resolution on my digital camera, my files seem to be too large to post here. D'oh. I've tried twice or thrice before and this site never will accept my images. I've love to show 'em off, but until I figure out a way to do so, I will continue to be thwarted.

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Copycat: if you will, send me the photo(s) on e-mail and I will post them for you. I PM you my address.