1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened to chuck rainey in this vid!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Langueta, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    This is the man who played with steely dan and I always loved???:rollno:
    Check this vid
    It seems he dont know the modes and I can compare his sound to an amateur!!
    I love this guy, but wat happened here!!!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You comment on the sound of a 20 yo VHS instruction tape hacked to youtube?
    As for modes, it just shows that you can make a career without knowing them. :)

3. I doubt that his tone would sound that much better if you were there in person.

4. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Yeah, but you shouldn't go on an interview and say two wrongs things back by back. Phrygian is "a" minor scale (not "the", which he is right would be aeolian). And locrian is really a half-diminished scale, so yeah he should know it if he wants to try and correct someone about it.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought that VHS tape back in the day... it was hard to watch and I cannot recall a single thing I gained from owning it.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    All I know is that Will Lee is in serious bad 80s hair code violation on that clip.

7. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    the other guy is will lee?

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I recently got his bass books and they are worth it. . He sounded great in that old interview. He knows his stuff, I liked seeing him slap etc and the comments he made about solos. :cool:

9. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I' m wondering the same thing. :eyebrow:

Fred

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that isn't Will Lee

11. yeah - no way that's Will . . .

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My teacher says the Chuck Rainey book is the best one he has seen. Chuck Rainey is player who did more than a few heavy reading gigs, and he does have a degree in music. The best of make mistakes. I think his body of work is great enough that we can cut him some slack for a bad video. BTW, I own the video, and I don't think it is worth much for instruction either.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The interviewer is not Will Lee(his name escapes me at the moment),

14. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    The interviewer looks like Scott Gorham, one of the guitar players in Thin Lizzy. :p:bassist::p

15. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    No.Absolutely no. I'm sorry, but if a guy pretends to know about theory and tries to talk to a intereivewer about it he better know it. If he got a degree in music I'd hope to god that he learned the difference betwee the modes and how I IV and V are major, II, III, VI are minor, and VII is 9half)diminished. This kind of thing is so elementary to a serious, degreed musician that you should be able to ask him in his sleep any key/mode thing and he should be able to respond correctly. This is the extreme basic of classical music which any school at least has 1 semester in. And sinc4e classical music is the root of ALL music any serious musician should be able to talk at length about tonal harmory/voiceleadin/whatever even if he is "just a pop musician".

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Exactly. In many cases, being knowledgeable isn't a must to have a successful career. There are lots of musicians who were blessed by Mother Nature at birth and, as a result, talent simply oozes out of them. If you had that luck, you can compensate any lack of schooling with pure talent. Paul McCartney is a great example of a successful singer/multi-instrumentalist/songwriter who didn't get to know how to read music properly, for instance (I think I read somewhere that he did it not so long ago?). I remember reading an interview to Steve Miller in which he compared the talents of Macca and George Harrison after jamming with them. He said something along the lines of "George's accomplishments were the result of really hard work, while Paul didn't need to work that much".

Now, if you want to see an example of a really unschooled bass monster (at least judging from the video), watch this (from 1:02 to 1:13 and from 4:26 to 4:45). With such skills and accomplishments, it wouldn't matter much to me to be that ignorant about basic music theory.

P.S.: Just in case, I'm not trying to say that Mr. Rainey is "just talent". No doubt he's a very knowledgeable player.

17. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    No such thing as talent in the sense you are talking about. An integral sense of the music you are playing comes from playing that style for A LONG TIME. Paul McCartney played forever until he was realized as an "iconic
    player". Maybe he has some knack in getting around the bass physically, but the musical sense comes from totally internalizing what you want to play. There is no other path to greatness on an instrument in the style you want. Talent!=havinga good sense of the music you want to play. No way in no world can you tell me a man with a straight up Phd in jazz composition, but never seriously listend to jazz will understand what sounds good. The same goes for absolutely anything in this world, music, athletics, business. You must not only KNOW but BE what it is you are trying to master, otherwise you are just an imitator,

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Rockman, with all due respect, are you suggesting that Mr. Rainey is just an imitator?

19. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    And to think that Chuck kept getting hired over....and over....and over again! I guess his clients had no idea that he doesn't really have an understanding of music! I guess he just kept coming up with amazing bass lines by accident! :D

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: