Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to discussions about Bassworld?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wulf, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What happened to the thread about Bassworld? I'd invested some time in developing the discussion there and suddenly I check back and all trace of it has gone!

Does that mean whoever started it deleted the first post? That seems a bit unfair to me - I'll be scarred for life :rolleyes:

Wulf

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The threads got reported by members as spam, which they were.

One of the threads about that site was started by a moderator from that site. Tacky, to say the least.

We don't post spam about TalkBass in other forums. There's no reason we should allow it here. The forum rules are quite clear, especially the bottom paragraph.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There was more than one? I must have missed the others.

It's a shame really - I was trying to persuade the developer of the Bassworld site to develop it in a UK specific niche where it could sit comfortably alongside Talkbass, instead of declaring itself 'THE Internet Bass Community'. Even Talkbass couldn't really claim that title, huge and excellent as it is!

Wulf

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, I assumed there was more than one since you used the word "discussions" in the title.

No one here has any beef with Bassworld or with whatever claims they may make. It's just marketing. One of our local papers, the SF Examiner has a legend saying it's "The Monarch of the Dailies". The thing's a rag. It's actually sad.

Anyway, Bassworld can claim to be anything it wants and strive to become it, but they should do it by offering a good quality site like we have here, not by spamming other forums. That's not a website. That's a parasite.

Man, that's a lot o' typin for somethin' so minute...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did think it was bit cheeky to come onto a rival site and say - do yourself a favour by coming to bassworld.

This is firstly implying that TB is lacking and then making use of that forum's popularity to increase its own - as BB says, they should be doing this by increasing their own quality - not stealing members from other sites, by promising to be better when they clearly aren't. :rolleyes:

6. *whips Bruce*

On your way, pal!
    MOVE ALONG!!!

*points in direction of bassworld*
    ..Yes.. I'll be reporting you.

:p

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Somebody let me know if Bassworld does become more UK specific. I'd find some value in that.

Wulf

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed.
    What's with people doing propaganda for other bass sites these days :D ?

9. let's start lots of threads bashing Bruce Lindfield in Bassworld- while the cat's away the mice will play:p

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is acting as an outflow pipe from Talkbass going to help Bassworld establish itself in a suitable niche? I think not :meh:

Wulf

11. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've never been to that site, but I think it's kind of lame to talk about "rivaling" sites... I mean, we're all bassists who like to talk about it, what's the big deal? Spam isn't good, though, but "stealing members?" Chill out.

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    agreed.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the big deal was just that he was using the talkbass mailer function to email a bunch of members to come to his site. pretty rude, imo, using paul's nickel to spam your site to folks.

still, though, i don't think anybody's making a big deal out of it, do you?

14. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about bassworld.

The e-mails to members may well be considered spamming, but by no means was this the intention. Bassworld is just a relatively new bass community, and it's just trying to make a name for itself and reach as many people as possible.

And trying to STEAL members!? How many members of this site are members of other bass sites? Quite a significant number I should imagine. If you went to bassworld and liked it enough to become a member would you leave talkbass? I didn't, and I would be extremely surprised if someone else did.

And as for being a rival site, just because the sites have the same topic doesn't make them rivals, if they were both trying to make profit, then yes, they would be, but neither site is a business, neither site is trying to win members, so why should they be considered rivals?

Ok, here's the e-mail that was sent to users

At no point in that e-mail do I see him saying "do yourself a favour by coming to bassworld" and at no point does he imply that TB is lacking, that would be downright stupid. IMO thats quite a polite e-mail, and if your not interested you can delete it, no hassle.

Tom

P.S. just in case you try and make a big deal of it. I am a moderator for bassworld. But I was a member here before I became a member there, and I volunteered to help out at the site at a later date, I have no connection with the e-mails sent to users. And please don't say that the link in my sig is spam, it is there for people who may be interested in the site, you don't have to click on it and it is not a nuisance to anybody.

Thank you.

EDIT(JT): no spamming please.

15. Bruce Lindfield

This was in the thread that was deleted - which was what this thread is about!! :rolleyes:

16. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, there's always Bruce... ;)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well I just agreed with John that I thought it was rude or "cheeky", as I said.

If that's making a big deal of it....?

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    alright, that's enough. the original question has been answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.