What happened to Hartke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Jan 3, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I used someone elses rig at school for a while, and it was an older model Hartke 3500 and a trace elliot 2x10. Sounded good sometimes, but like crap most of the time.

2. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    I haven't used the amps, but I demoed a 5500 in a Samash store and it was as good as any stand alone head I ever tried. I could dial anything in I wanted.

I used a 4 x 10 xl for a long time along with a 2.5 xl and my band said it is the best sound they ever heard, and they are all very, very seasoned musicians with recording credentials. I am selling the 4 x 10 xl now at the LMS only because it weighs 86 lbs. as I await the arrival of my brand new Schroeder 1210 (47 lbs.) so I am just using the 2.5 xl by itself. My advice to someone with low bread and starting to build a rig is start buying 2.5 xls and keep buying them until you have enough. I am old and weak but I can still carry one with one hand. In another Hartke thread I told the story of an outdoor gig where two 2.5 xls sounded better than the ampeg 8 x 10 hernia doctor's friend. All involved chose the two hartkes over the 8 x 10 including a professional sound man, so I did the gig with the Hartkes. At the time I really didn't care as I did not have to carry anything that day except my roller rack and my bass. I agree with the previous post that said that mid range, entry range, pro range, there is no such thing. When I first saw Muddy Waters he had a Silvertone amp from the Sears catalogue. Now, I guess, they are sort of sought after but at the time they were like, poor people's stuff or something. Muddy got that great arc welder sound out of that thing.

I am not trying to defend Hartke or anything, but I would hate to see someone miss a value from misguided prejudice. I saw a Hartke 5500 blem head on zzounds a couple weeks ago for $430. It is a head someone could conceivably use the rest of their life, so why would we want to disuade at least a try out. Case in point, I once passed on the Peavey Max preamp because of "oh Peavey, hold my nose". Well that preamp turned out to be the bomb with crossover, and bunch of other neat stuff in it for cheap, and now they don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. So anyway, how is that for a rant?

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021