What happened to Lane Poor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MM, Apr 23, 2001.

1. His web page is down and I'm hearing rumblings that he went out of business. Any conformation?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It appears that Mr Poor is no more.

There is a local shop in Dallas that claimed that they could get LPs and that Bartolini went out of business, but when I called their bluff and asked for them to order some 6 string soapbars, after giving me the runaround for 2 weeks they admitted that they hadn't been able to get in touch with Lane for over 6 months, and that they had orders for pickups that had never been filled.

The rumours out there are rampant, but it appears that the brand got too big too quickly to meet the demand. And that they also got overextended and couldn't keep the bills paid.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    And a huge damn shame it is, too! Lane made the best sounding stuff out there, IMHO. I was really waiting for the 2x1AC preamp with the 3-band eq module.
  4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    It's just so wierd to me that no one, not even Lane, has come out with the definitive story. Like it's some kind of hush-hush thing. I have a hard time believing that it's only business problems for some reason....many companies have rough periods, so it's not a disgrace or anything. I just hope the guy's ok.
  5. The guy hasn't posted on TBL for months....
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My first TB post was about LP's. Last October, I ordered a bass from Carvin and was all set to call them up and tell them to send the body over to Lane Poor so they could install pups and onboards. I was ready to make a pre-payment to LP in early Nov. and couldn't contact them as they appeared to have fallen off the planet.

I guess Mr. Poor went to the same mountain top Walter Woods went to. ;)
  7. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Lane is out of business. He is no longer doing what he has done best.

Walter Woods is not on that mountain you speak of. He still is in business. He does it out of his house. You can get his info from other players that use Walter Woods. That is the only way you can get his contact info
  8. rickbass

stroy - I've seen posts elsewhere about his new contact info. (don't know if it's legit). But from what I've read, he can be rather eccentric and sort of left the planet for a while, as several former customers couldn't get a hold of him.
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i dont know if this really has to do with it but, do the modulus flea basses still come with lanes?
  10. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    I posted a little "open letter to Lane" on TBL a couple of days ago, expressing concern for his well-being on behalf of many of us on TB and TBL, and to let him know he's appreciated. He didn't respond himself, but later I got an email from a guy who's his design partner of sorts...he designed the 2x1AC preamp with Lane, apparently. He really didn't fill me in with any concrete info, just said he's been in contact with Lane and that he's OK. Mentioned that he's "feeling overwhelmed" and that he's not sure about the future of the company. Not much info, but apparently, Mr. Poor is alive and well. That's good news anyway.
  11. rickbass

mchildree - Thanks for putting that up. If he really has no stomach for it any longer, I wish he would sell or license his designs. Those were wonderful pups.
  12. JMo

Apr 27, 2001
    Greenville SC
    Well, so much for my "lifetime" guarantee!! His pickups were fine but I think a bit over-rated....VERY low output. I had real problems getting orders delivered, and am STILL waiting for a replacement for a couple of Jazz Classics that I installed on my #2 bass. Guess I can stop waiting now.
  13. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Regarding Walter Woods...Walter is definitely alive and kicking. He's a one-person operation, still building them a few at a time as he has been for years. I've talked to him a number of times, in between his camel treks to and fro cross the deserts of the Southwest. He's a nice guy, apparently has all the business he wants and seems to spend as little time as possible on the secretarial side of the business. Walter recently built one of his Ultra mono units for me, and at 7 lbs. it's a killer.