1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What happened to Low Down Sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *On 9/10/08 I placed an order with Low Down Sound for a custom case for my Eden WT-550 head. They charged my credit card $130.00 up front and told me it would be 10 days before they could get to it. Not wanting to be "one of those guys" I left them alone and patiently waited. I feel that this was my mistake. I tried to call today 9/26/08 to check the status of the order but there was no answer. I went to the website and lo and behold there is a notice that says they are closing forever on 9/19/08. Ironically this is one day before he said he would start on my order:eyebrow:

*Does anyone know what happened?:confused: Does anyone know how to get in touch with them?:confused: I sent them an email but have no idea if they will even get it or check it.:( I would really rather they filled the order than refunded my money. Anyone know what they are up to? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.:help: I'm kinda worried about being ripped off!:mad:

2. :confused:
    There are lots of LDS cab users here- I'm not one of them but the place/guy seems to have a good reputation. I asked about a custom cab once; he replied quickly.
    :meh:

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm sure one of the Detroit TB'ers will have contact numbers for Don. While the store closed up, I'm pretty sure his cabinet making business will continue. LDS were good people, and I really doubt they'll rip you off. I would guess things were a bit shuffled due to the store closing, but I'm confident they'll eventually make it right for you.

4. Well, they had a going out of business sale..

I am sure someone is going to vouch for them, but if you don't hear back soon I would just initiate a credit card dispute.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I wouldn't worry too much. Several Detroit-area TBers, including Ken Jung, have said Don is continuing his custom cab business. It would have been nice if they had included this information on the LDS home page, though.

6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Thanks for the responses. Makes feel a little better but would rather here it from the man himself to be sure. I hope they do intend to continue making cabinets and such. I was really excited to see they made a case for the Traveler heads. The gig bag is a pain and mine is tearing and coming apart and with no handles on the head it makes it difficult to maneuver.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There are at least a couple threads on this topic on the "Miscellaneous" board. Here's one of 'em:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470356&highlight=Down+Sound

I really wouldn't be concerned about getting ripped off, Simon. Don is probably just deep into the transition right now, and is a little overwhelmed with closing down one business, while he relocates and re-establishes the other...

Give him another call, rather than waiting for an email. Don uses email only sporadically...

MM

8. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    When I placed the order Don did ask me what the gig scene was like out here in CA right now. He said that because of recession and the problems in the auto industry that a lot of the bars and clubs were shutting down and there weren't very many gigs out there. Kind of a bummer but at least he has the cabinet business and they seem to be quite popular. I wasn't aware that the retail store and the cabinet business were treated as two separate entities. Kinda scared me this morning when I saw the website because I was really looking forward to getting that case. It looks like a great idea and will make transporting that head so much easier.

Again thanks for all the reassurance and I will just sit tight and wait it out and see what happens. I would rather have the case than a refund anyway.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It would have been better if he mentioned it.

That being said, LDS has always had an excellent rep
    among people who have dealt with them.

Pickup the phone and call. Leave a detailed message.
    If he told you upfront he needed 10 days, I fail to see
    the concern. Don was not leaving the supply business,
    just the retail walk-in store, is what I have heard.

Don't get too antsy, this is not some eBay guy no one has
    ever heard of.

10. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Just received a phone message from Don. He is working on the case for me right now and will have it ready to ship in a few days. Sorry to cause any panic or imply anything negative about Don or his crew. They are good people who stand by their word.

*Now I just can't wait to get my hands on that case!

11. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Great to hear you did not get forgotten about!

12. Thor

Like I said, they have a good rep in the biz.

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Yeah, my main cab is a custom LDS 6x10 so I'm familiar with the way Don and co operate... great guys, great products, but communication isn't exactly their strong suit. If you get them on the phone you can usually get all the info you need, but there were a few times over the course of my projected build time that I just couldn't get a hold of Don for a couple weeks. But hey, we're all human, and he's running a really small operation. Everyone at LDS are very friendly, and like I said their products are great, so it's worth the extra effort, IMHO. But just so you're aware... build times often go a little bit over the estimates they give. And i know in the case of my cab, it was finished for about a week before it was actually shipped. I'm not complaining, just letting you know, because... trust me, i know the pain of waiting on pins and needles for new custom gear.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Agreed. It cannot be emphasized too strongly: A small, custom, made-to-order operation like LDS just can't be compared straight up with any of the larger, mass-market manufacturers, such as Gallien Krueger, Eden or SWR.

Everything has its trade-off. You can get something off the shelf from one of the big companies. And if it happens to be just what you want, great. You're in business.

But if want something special, that fits your individual needs precisely, then you're just going to have to be patient and flexible. In the long run, it's well worth it... :meh:

MM

15. Thor

Hey Simon, when you get it can you post a pic? I have a
    WT-400 and the custom padded bag I use is probably going to need to be replaced next year. As usual, the zippers are
    first to go.

I'd love to see what the custom case looks like! :)