1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what happened to me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wilser, Aug 1, 2007.

1. So the other day I find myself going through my old records from my teenage years ...mostly metal, hardcore, punk, etc. And I put on one of D.R.I's early records (Dirty Rotten LP). This stuff was my way of life. These tunes were my anthems. I lived by their words.

All of a sudden I notice how different my view of life is today. I changed from a guy who DIDN'T NEED SOCIETY, hated the COMMUTER MAN and vowed not to become the SUIT AND TIE GUY to exactly that. I tried to think back and find when all this change started happening, but I don't remember. I'm sure it was probably when I started expanding my musical horizons and listening to other stuff. Do you call that 'BRAINWASHING'? 'GROWING UP'? 'TIMES THEY ARE-A-CHANGING'?

Anybody remember M.D.C.?

I find that I still love the music, though. :bassist:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    it's when you realized that you NEED the COMPUTER GUY, SOCIETY, and being a SUIT AND TIE GUY in order to make a decent living :D

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    growing up sucks. I'm still working on it

4. Welcome to Real Life ver 1.0

5. Hell yeah! I had them AND DRI on vinyl. Not to mention DK, Husker Du, Circle Jerks, TSOL, Fear, 7 Seconds, Minutemen, Agnostic Front, Black Flag...

Of course this was around '84 or '85 and I'm also a corporate slave now.

6. it's 'COMMUTER MAN', not COMPUTER GUY ...what are you a CLOSET PUNK!?!?!? :mad: :D

7. I love DRI. I pulled out a couple of their CD's the other day. I could still sing all the words to "Suit And Tie Guy". I did it while straightening my tie while driving my medium sized SUV to a meeting regarding the new class I will be teaching at the local university, drawing on my experience as a middle school principal (which I still do)!

What happened indeed!!! The kids think it's pretty cool when they find out (usually around talent show time with the staff band) what I really do in my spare time!!!!

8. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    +1
    + Agent Orange, Minor Threat, The Plimsouls, Dead Kennedy's

Had it all on cassette, You can only be poor for so long. At a certain age Ramen looses it's flavor and health insurance becomes a must. Marriage and kids made me settle down. Still love the punk though!!!!!

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    about 10 years ago, if the police had been on tour, i would have bought 1 of everything they had for sale at the merch booth. this time when i saw them in dallas, i bought the books, a cd/dvd and a jacket. i thought "what the hell happened to me? i am mr rock n roll." i just dont want tour shirts anymore. i turned 38 today and am looking at that 40 going ughhhhh.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Because the young, idealistic way of life of doing what you want, when you want to generally doesn't apply unless you're a multi-million record selling rockstar.

Normal people have to work and yes, sometimes do things they don't want to in order to live and be healthy/happy/whatever. Finding the balance is one of life's biggest individual struggles.

11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    hm... I was never an anti-establishment type of person. I've never had a personal problem with the economic society we're all a part of. I've never been made to feel like a robot, or some mindless consumer.

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Deep, dude.

Real deep.

I'd say you start losing your childhood, your true youth, once you start to owe something. Credit card bill, car loan, rent, mortgage... whatever it is. Just graduating college ain't it. It's somewhere afterwards, when you start needing to be responsible.

Grow old. Don't grow up.

[​IMG]

And never forget how to truly have fun on a stage.

13. True. A mortgage and kids will straighten you right up. I happily suck it up for "the man" Monday through Friday so I can provide a more comfortable life for my family.

"Thank you sir may I have another."

14. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    When I read this thread title, I thought "you were abducted by aliens", so I present to you my theory on why your views changed:

You were abducted by aliens.

15. danders

danders

Mar 19, 2007
    Forest Grove, OR
    I also have a different look on things now versus 20 years ago. I'm not sure I'd call it brainwashing though. Having to be responsible with your actions has a lot to do with it - choosing to not be responsible turns out to be a stupid choice and for some reason it's hard to see that when you're, well, young and stupid.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun. :hyper:

16. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    You kinda get used to it...then learn to not take "growing up" so seriously. Yeah, everyone has responsibilities and things but it's not all bad. I've learned to lighten up about...and hopefully live longer.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

I look back at how much I've learned just in the last 2 years, and I think I've really reconciled the fear of aging with myself that everyone deals with. I want to enjoy my youth and certainly don't want to rush through it, but I see aging as an exciting growth of knowledge and independence, rather than a lack of good times, responsibility, and not being cool anymore.

18. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Makes you wonder how those mid-20s guys write music that's supposed to suggest a lifestyle... ;)

Hint: It's all about the money.

19. we need some friggin' slam dancing up in this joint!

I really hope for the sake of my family this is not the start of an early mid-life crisis. :D

20. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i shouldn't be reading this...