What happened to my Ampeg SVT CL??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Ok so heres what happened. My band was opening for two other bands last night. They were both using my bass rig which consists of an Ampeg SVT CL and a 610 HLF. During the last song of my bands performance I got no signal. I turn my amp from on to standby and the light goes from green SLOWLY to red. I leave it for a while and turn it back on the light again goes slowly between red and green but this time makes a very nasty hissing sound. I ask the guitar tech for the headliner what the hell was going on and he had no idea. Luckily we had an extra Sans Amp bass driver. Without that thing our gig would have truly been a disaster. What makes me wonder was that I got my CL new, and It only has about 1 and a half years on it. I take good care of the tubes. What happened? I was so dissiapointed...It went out at the worst possible time and I just want a little explanation as to what happened.

Thanks for letting me vent...But, if anyone has any information at all as to what happened, I would truely appreciate your input.

Thanks, Justin
  2. The first thing I'd do is yank all the tubes and have them tested. A shorted tube will make an amp to all sorts of silly things. If the tubes check out then it's time to take it in to see the man.
  3. The wierd thing is that I never push the tubes hard at all. Tonight was the first i really turned it up. If the tubes are dead, will Ampeg replace them? Cause I mean, I have only have the head for about 1 and a half years, and the amp is pretty much already dead.
  4. If a tube is the culprit it's probably one of them, not all. Tubes are prety robust devices all things considered, but they were invented by guys who wore sabre-toothed tiger skins and they're more vulnerable to shock and vibration than transistors. Tubes can take more damage riding in the truck on the way to the gig than they do in actual use.

Unfortnately, if the amp is out of warranty I doubt Ampeg will even give you sympathy.
  5. The amp is still under its 5 year warrenty, I believe.
  6. Cool, then don't touch a thing. Just hotfoot it to your nearest rapair center and let them handle it.
  7. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    if it is a tube they are pretty cheap on the preamp side (you can replace these individual if needed) but if its on the power tube side they are a little more spendy, because you have to replace them all (they have to be a matched set, at least on my 78svt anyway) i think they ran me a couple hundred bucks or something like that, the last time i retubed them but that was better than 10 years ago, so maybe cheaper now...

8. if you bought it new and have the receipt..call ampeg...they will tell you where to take it
  9. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i guess my answer would be if you have to foot the bill, but ampeg should take care of it (Warranty)

10. The warranty is transferrable to anyone as long as they have a copy of the original receipt. So it does not apply to only the original owner. Sadly, tubes are not covered and are considered a maintenance item, unless if another component tanked and took the tube with it, then they would probably replace it.

It is best to have it checked out where Ampeg directs you to bring it.
  11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It does sound as if there is an issue with bias drifting for some reason.

Take it in. With receipt, 5 year warranty, although as mentioned, tubes are not covered for 5 years.

It may not have anything to do witrh the tubes. It might be a low power driver tube. Most output tube problems are a little more dramatic, but I won't rule it out based only on what you wrote.
  12. After reading the trouble shooting from the manual, it looks like I am going to need new power tubes. I am going to take the amp into the shop sometime this week, but if I do need to buy new power tubes...Well I can't even think about how much that is going to suck. How much do 6 6550's go for? About 600 bucks??
  13. $150 or less

i had a quick look, most are under $50 for a matched pair, i assume thats for both of them

The reason it is more expensive in a 78 SVT is that with the older tube amps they get thier best sound from NOS (new old stock) tubes, which are basically discontinued tubes from the period
  14. Fliptops.net has a matched sextet of svetlanas 6550's for $155.00
  15. Do I need to change all the tubes at once, or can I just change the ones that need changing?
  16. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    no they all have to be changed at 1 time in the power tube side... $155.00 sounds like a good price to me!!!