What Happened to Reverend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 28, 2003.

1. I was on Reverends website and I noticed they don't seem to offer all the fancy aluminum tops anymore. They also changed the pickup configuration of their four string basses to a P/J setup. The options offered on their site seem very limited.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't know but I suspect that the reduction in options is linked to their decision to sell their own instruments. Too bad, because I would've loved a Brad Houser in either Engine Turn or Bugeye!
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Reverend seems to keep diminishing their finishes, options, and models they sell. Seems like a bad business strategy to me.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i haven't seen any change in the finish offerings for nearly a year--same colors and brushed aluminum choices. I haven't seen the "Bug-eye" on their website. The p/j configuration on the 4 string is new, though.

I would guess manufacturers offer finish options and colors either as "special offers" or for limited times and discontinue them if they are not popular.

I love my 4 string 'fish! Maybe discontinued finishes make indivdual basses more desireable!
  5. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i have an oppertunity to get a reverend j type bass on a trade ,its has 2 j/bass pick ups,the body looks to be a plastic corien type body,(fiberglass?)it sounds great,it has a inique dead sound to it,similar to if you would put flat-wounds on a fender j/bass,its light as a hell and has a cool vintage vibe,any feedback? the music store owner/my bass teacher says its a year old and it is mint shape,he wants 300.00 for it,what do you guys think?:confused:
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When they dropped the phenolic tops in favor of the metal tops they claimed it was because that was what was selling...so now what?

I think they are being victimized by the usual skittishness of the marketplace....everyone wants something new and different, until they GET it! Then they decide the old stuff was really better :rolleyes:
  7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'd dislocate my arm getting my wallet out of my pocket!:D Add a set of TI flats and you're all set!
  8. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Just Piced up a Rumblefish a few weeks ago my self and put TI flats on it . My buddy played it ith my Ampeg B100R and wow what a sound
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How does it compare to the L2000? I'm curious...
  10. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Both the G&L and Reverend are great Basses but I think that the Reverend has a little More Vibe to it and I was looking for something that I could put flats on . For some reason the G&L does not sound good with flats. Were the Reverend I think sound best with flats IMO .I really did love that G&L and would of not have got rid of it if is was not for the weight . But the new owner is very happy with it and I am with the Reverend and ended up with some cash in my pocket.