What happened to Rock N' Roll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It sure isn't on TV. This thread is inspired by a performance that was on the Carson Daley (gawd) Show. I didn't expect much from this guy, but he had a band on there tonight called, "The Star Spanglers" They were modern rockish. It was one of the worst musical performances I've seen in a while. And they were totally into it. It wasn't like "Oh man, we are screwing up, this sucks." They were proud of how good they sounded. It was a blur of stupid lyrics, totally filler verses, stupid "Whoa oh ohhh oh" "catchy" chorus. Terrible singer. Guitarist tone was horrible. No one struck me as talent.

But this is the new wave of rock? Are we all going to hell in a handbasket. I heard a band that has come out of England called, "The Darkness." For all I know, they might be popular, I don't know. They sounded great. Very AC/DC with a crazy assed vocalist. Freddy Mercury on crack. :D I dug 'em. Good stuff. So we are not completely doomed. I saw "The Black Keys" on Conan, they seemed good for one of those "We hate bassists" bands.

So, I don't know, is this the new popular style of music. I haven't listened to the radio in a long time. I know music from live TV performances on late night TV. Is the new wave of rock as horrible as I percieve with few exceptions?
  2. :rolleyes:

These threads are invariably retarded.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... Rock N' Roll....

If you want the typical brat rock star attitudes, look at Sum41. Love them or hate them, they have the attitude. They are pure rock.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What happen to rock and roll?

I killed it. I killed it by beating it to death with a porkchop. A raw one.

That's what happened to rock.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thanks for the input Pete. I appreciate it. :rolleyes:

I'm not just generalizing, despite the title. I'm not showing my old fogeyisms off. I'm asking a couple of questions...

Q: What is the new wave of pop rock? Is it what I'm seeing on Conan. I honestly don't know.

Q: Are any of these bands decent? I see a lot of potential in "The Darkness" (I thought they were goth at first, due to the name) and I dug "The Black Keys" but a lot of new rock I hate.

Q: Is nu metal finally dead?
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's alive, but in an ICU.
  7. I don't understand why the Darkness is getting so much attention (around here anyway). Their image is the cheese hair metal era that we've been complaining about and trying to forget for the last decade. Seeing the video I think the music is hair metal, but hearing it on the radio I think it's just more watered down pop/rock... Can't say I find them any better than the majority of the stuff out there right now.

As for the new wave of rock, yes there's way more pop than rock in pop/rock nowadays.
  8. imo, music is still alive. 80% of stuff on MTV are the talentlesss buggers we complain about on TB everyday.

However. Check out Smash's band - STOKE! Rock n roll, baby!

there are PLENTY of bands!

deep purple are still touring! theyve released an album in august.

there's plenty of real PUNK bands still around. you just don't hear about them. your local scene is somewhere to check out!

sorry for the messy post :)
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Darkness are a joke - seriously!!

It's like Spinal Tap for the Queen generation!

If you hear them interviewed it is quite clear they are taking the piss - like Tenacious D if you haven't seen Spinal Tap.

It's the British sarcastic sense of humour that takes a while for Americans to get...!! :D
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Carson is a tool. I had the TV on last Saturday, blaring to no one, and it was on CD. His musical guest that night, was a funk/rock band, which was your basic band lineup, and the singer also played some great piano. Not sure who it was, but man, they were smokin'
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    One word: Soundscan.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's what I thought. I mean, I've never seen a video or an interview. But I thought that they don't seem to take themselves too seriously. The vocalist is impressive but funny at the same time. I took this band in the same light as Andrew W. K. He wrote stupid catchy songs, and then I saw the videos and laughed my ass off. I'll have to download a Darkness video.

I think subtly is lost on my generation. I've played Spinal Tap for some people (the greatest mockumentary ever) and they just didn't get it. Like not enough stuff was happening. Like it would be funny if they were slipping on bannana peels and falling in pies or something. :meh:
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yep. Didn't catch the funk rock act, but that's cool. He's a tool and I rarely RARELY watch the show. Sometimes I'm not disapointed by the musical guest though. He had Anthrax unplugged which was crazy. I got to catch Mudvayne on there. Terrible performance. I don't know if they normal suck live (moreso than usually... haha) the singer was really fighting and failing. The bass was low in the mix, which sucks considering he's the reason any bassists would like them.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The video for "I believe in a thing called love " is really funny - like Flash Gordon parodies a hair band!! And the bass player is pure spinal tap!! ;)
  16. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I hear ya. I find my music in bars and clubs, usually local no name bands, but that's how I like it. Of course, there are a lot of European bands that get me going. MTV and pop music is the wrong place to look.
  17. There tons of great band out there, right now.
    It`s just a lil bit harder tho find them...

The Darkness? Cool for me, really really funny.
    The singer rocks...
    Nu-Metal? There `ll be a few mora years of nu metal. I personally don`t like it, but it`s not despreciable.
    I think that the new wave `ll be somthing a la Avril Lavigne, and we will miss these days... Were there are a lot of people who still have attitude
    Anyway, we also have tons of "classic" bands who `re still playing (Purple, Rush, etc.), so don`t worry!
    Anyway, i feel really happy to live in this era, cause, we have the control! We musicians have to develop a new, refreshing, cool style of music and save rock n roll! It`s up to us!

Peace, love and Rock n Roll!

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. You were right.