Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to the Acousitc Bass.com message board?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Oct 2, 2002.

1. It seems to have been shut down from "abuse" anybody know the story?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I think I may have, unfortunately, been the straw that broke the camel's back. I was surprised, since Robby expressed a lot of stress over the board, and I always saw it as a lightly posted, peaceful place. I was a very active poster, perhaps the most active, and while I haven't done a count, I would imagine more were general advice and not product promotion.

A anonymous poster noted that posts from Ray Gardner originated from some of the same IP numbers as my posts. And he persisted (still and forever anonymously) in making a stink. After a couple weeks (and a hospital stay that kept me non-computerized for a week) I owned up to the non de keyboard. I had reassumed my old Musicians Union name to express opinions, and unfortunately more recently made comments touting the toys I sell - a little more than I thought I actually had.

I'm embarrassed. It didn't start as guerilla marketing, just a way to say something without my loaded name. I endeavor to respond as honestly as I possibly can, but my name immediately casts a shadow, even in cases when it has nothing to do with anything I sell! I those of you who know me by email or on the phone can vouch for me as a straight shooter- you'll get my opinion even if it is counter to what I offer to sell.

Robby mentioned in his temporary announcement about vendor conflicts-- I am not aware of any, but am frankly suspicious about the origin of the original posts. The unintentional (what could be gained?!?) similarity between Garner and Gardner was apparently a major factor, too. Regardless, I take responsibility for my tacky act, but frankly believe that something else influenced the closing of the board-- as you will note from the final traffic, respondents didn't feel my error in judgment was a capital crime.

Judge me as you will.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Folks, what Bob did wasn't the best thing to do on that other board, but by owning up to it, he more than makes up for it.

I can understand exactly why Bob did that, and I'll be the first to say that he has always been honest with other products regardless of whether he sold them or not. Bob was the one that talked me into getting an Acoustic Image, at least a year before he began selling them himself.

Although I no longer use any of my K & K stuff (although I keep my Bass Max for a reliable back-up), everything Bob has sold me has been with great service and care.

I for one forgive his transgression and hope we move on.

Monte

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Ditto that. Every single word of it. Posting under an alias was kind of a dumb thing to do, but I've seen some of those posts, and they were never aggressive or Spamlike in their content. As for the rest, I'd like to say that Bob has gone well above and beyond the call of duty in order to help me out more than once, which is something I can't say about anyone else I've ever bought gear from. As far as I'm concerned, naysayers be damned. All Hail.