1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened to "THe Big Bang Theory"? (The TV Show)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I was a huge fan of this show but it seemed like after season 7 if just changed way to much.

Howard and Bernadette are almost like a different show all to themselves like a light version of "Al and Peg Bundy"

Leonard and Penny don't even act like a married couple. They live within the boundaries of Sheldon's narcissism.

The episodes lately are becoming more drama and less funny. Less about the nerd stuff, and even though I know characters need to evolve its like they evolved to quickly but this show has lost a lot of what made is different from other half hour sitcoms.

dannster likes this.
  2. fendermademygibson

fendermademygibson

Jan 28, 2015
    th?&id=OIP.Md1c43390a911e81f444b0218adfb2025H0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.

Jazz Ad, JimK, LiquidMidnight and 8 others like this.
  3. That show was never funny...

Jazz Ad, arbitrary, Rocker949 and 8 others like this.
  4. "Funny" is a very subjective term.
    Saying something isn't funny when it's one of the highest rated shows might actually be a bit ironic.

I do think it has jumped the shark though, since Leonard & Penny got married.
    I like Kaley Cuoco better with long hair too.

I've been mesmerized by her as far back as "8 Simple Rules" with John Ritter.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    DwaynieAD and DWBass like this.
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It's the whole "Niles-Daphne" or "Rachel-Ross" dichotomy. Once the sexual tension is gone, the show becomes a 'dramedy' and is less funny. That said, I still enjoy the show. And yes, Kaley looks much better with longer hair. :)

6. Oh wait, she's Kaley Sweeting now. I think she married one of the members of Nickelback.

I didn't notice anyone pining for anyone in TBBT, at least not like in Friends or Frasier.

Amy is pining for Sheldon,
    but he just shagged her. That is probably the point where the show really jumped the shark.

edit/add:

Ooops, I must have confused Avril Lavigne in there somehow, she's the one who married a Nickelback member.
    I'm also reading that Sweeting & Cuoco have filed for divorce, but it might just be gossip.

7. Good point. Remember "Moonlighting", the 80s show with Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepard? It went downhill fast after their characters hooked up.

Also, IMHO, 7 seasons is a long time for any show to try to stay fresh.

8. I think it was there with Mulder & Scully too, but not as much.

TUEP likes this.
  9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes to both of these. Once the characters couple up, the show becomes a soap. Seinfeld is beloved in part because Elaine and Jerry never married, and the show ended while it was still great. Though some hipsters still think the two post-Larry David seasons were not nearly as good.

OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.
  10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Funny is subjective. I don't find it funny. I know it is one of the top shows, but I just don't get it.
    If you like it, watch it and enjoy.
    I'll be in my room practicing.

Rocker949 and Immigrant like this.
  11. I watch it while practicing. Every room is my room.

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you kidding? That show was drenched in sexual tension. It was unacknowledged - which just made it more and more intense.

I thought TBBT was amusing, but never really crazy funny. You want a really funny show about nerds, watch The IT Crowd. That show nailed it.

13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I'm a Physicist and so's my wife. [Now *that's* funny.] We used to howl at that show...not so much now. It's become much more a standard sit-com than a chance to laugh (i) appropriately at insider science gags that much of the audience wouldn't get, and (ii) inappropriately at Asperger syndrome sufferers. Now, having Bob Newhart was a good idea.

JimK, Jim Nazium, DWBass and 2 others like this.
  14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    o_O

This thread is starting to sound like "The View".............

;)

15. Yeah, that is a great show.
    I like Workaholics, but it does get a bit sophomoric at times.

16. I'm not sure that is accurate. It might be that every male is totally bessotted by Gillian Anderson and assumes Mulder is not immune, urging him to get stuck in at every opportunity.

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Two reasons:

1) The characters are all now constrained by their stable partnerships. A large portion of humor in the early years was in the nerdy male characters trying to get girls, with the beautiful Penny available, but out of their league. With all of them, including Penny, married or in long term relationships, that large reservoir of humor is gone.

2) The show is old for a sitcom. There are only so many jokes available with the situation. After they start recycling gags, the audience gets understandably bored.

Rocker949 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's "too" not "to". Would one more "o" kill you to type?????

TUEP, GregC and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. That happens on here way to much!
    :woot:

RedVee and two fingers like this.
  20. It was an entertaining enough show and pretty funny at points, but I couldn't get too into it because it just seemed... exploitative? No, not quite that, but something along those lines. With the rise of YouTube and access to millions of videos from real authentic nerds, dorks, and geeks, I personally have no need for a sitcom with actors only playing the part. Just my personal feelings here, not meant to be condescending to others who enjoy it. I've enjoyed parts of it myself, namely Kaley Cuoco.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016