1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened to "THe Big Bang Theory"? (The TV Show)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. It never was funny....

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's true.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, for those who are disenchanted with BBT, there's good news - the new season of Swamp People starts Monday.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have no idea what that is, but I bet it's funnier than Big Bang Hypothesis.

Rocker949 likes this.
  5. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Oh, come on! That's like saying bassists can never get laid.

Rocker949 likes this.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I never found it funny.

Rocker949 likes this.
  7. Well, there's also the old saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day". If it was ever funny, it was probably by accident.

peledog likes this.
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    There are actually quite a few nerds that feel the show portrays them in a negative light, and of course they complain about it with a fervor usually reserved for the Star Wars prequels. There's a blog post about the latest episode on the io9 blog, basically stating that the current episode portrays nerds as socially awkward losers that can't get laid. Honestly, I don't see it. Sitcoms typically get laughs because their characters do things that set them up for failure or ridicule. The situations that the characters of TBBT get into aren't much different than any other half-hour sitcom, the only difference is the overlay of nerd trappings and the focus of some of the jokes is some of the idiosyncrasies of the main characters. Again, that's just the basic sitcom format.

As far as whether the show is funny, I still think it is, but I do agree that it's not as funny as it was back in the first couple of seasons. Now that all the characters are paired off, they need to take the show to places that might not work well. For instance, I actually used to get a big laugh out of Howard, with his mind firmly planted in the gutter, but now he's mostly about being as much of a kid as possible and his wife taking over as the mother role in his life. Some of his funniest moments were when he went to outrageous steps to get laid, and failed often. He's no where near as funny now.

I can't see the show lasting much longer. I would be surprised if it lasts after next season.

9. Now that Bernie has gotten pregnant, the show is probably really going to go to hell.

That karaoke (kara okay, not carry okie) tonight was horrendous. We get it, there's a baby in there!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I posted on my FB feed that when people look back on this season, last night's episode will be the one they can point to as the moment when this show officially Jumped The Shark.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. Yeah, I think it's official now as well.

Maybe Chuck Lorre is bored & wants a new project.

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

It was when Sheldon ran away.

13. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I just watched last night's episode. It gave me something to chuckle at, but that's it. I have to agree, the shark was jumped last night.

14. I have been a fan of the show since the beginning but I must agree it is not as funny as it used to be. Some of the new episodes are better than others. The one this past Thursday was just so-so. I still like it and I'm glad they are doing different things with the show to try to keep it moving and changing. There are only so many Star Trek, Comicon and Physics references you can make before they start go get old! I'm actually glad Sheldon is evolving as a person. I for one didn't care that much for the robotic Sheldon of the past.

15. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I feel the same way. I appreciate character development for sure, but I believe they're straying further and further away from what made the show funny in the first place- the "nerdvana" that these characters existed in and how it affected their interaction with the "real world."

Now it seems that all the characters are morphing into regular Joe's so-to-speak, and their nerdiness and eccentricities that made them endearing characters is going away.

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The show has "Jumped the Shark" for sure. This happens to most shows when the producers get too taken with themselves and start thinking of their show as some great art form instead of the cheesy entertainment that TV is. I suppose they also start running out of ideas for plots so they turn the shows into a telenovela with lots of personal issues which none of us care about. Too bad they don't have Seinfeld's grace to bow out before things get really terrible, which is why that show will play forever. Too much ego in this business!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

18. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Wrong. It was never funny to YOU.

crucislancer and FilterFunk like this.
  19. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    The main problem with BBT was that it was created.

20. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I could not care less about the show but find it amusing that you are all trashing a product that is watched by millions and has spawned a franchise that is worth tens of millions of dollars.

Now you know how I feel about Budweiser beer!