Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to the Fender P-Special ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, Dec 26, 2004.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    What happened to the Fender P-Special ?? I've looked a few times at the Fender site to find it but can't. I was wondering if it was discontinued ? The "passive" electronics, MIM, J neck ,PJ pickups bass. Also what is the control set up on that bass ? Two pots correct ?? and what do they control ??

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There is a Deluxe P Bass Special with active elctronics, but no longer a passive P Special as far as I can tell. With the newer Zone and Dimesion basses with P/J configurations I suspect Fender didn't want to have too many P/J basses in their catalog. Plus, passive basses are less and less popular these days... :rolleyes:

3. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Yup, the passive model was D/Ced for model that is essentially the same but has the active electronics. Controls on the old model are Neck Vol., Bridge Vol., Master Tone.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Discontinued, but they've got one new at bassalone.com for a bit cheaper than MF used to sell them.

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    From what I was told by a rep.that the P special did not garner enough intrest for them to keep making them. Oh Well. :meh:

6. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    If you are not snobish about the Squier name, they still make this configuration as part of their Standard range. They are well made and mine has a really good jazz neck, plus the pickups don't sound too bad. It doesn't have the depth of sound of my USA Deluxe Precision or G&L JB-2 but for rehearsals and taking the odd knock it is just fine. I got mine off eBay at a silly price.

One thing that is interesting is that the Squier has a thicker slab of fingerboard rosewood than my USA Fenders, although not quite as luxurious as the JB-2.