what happened to the Peavey 4x12???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ledyard, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I owned a Peavey 4x12 bass cab. Black smooth tolex, black mesh steel grille, sheffields, very deep cab. Not offset 4x12, this one was just like a guitar cab. 600 watt I believe. had the silver peavey logo on the front and that triangle looking thing. Owned it apx 5 years ago. Was probably a year or two old at that time.
    I think I may want to try 12's again, instead of my Powerhouse 1000, or going back to an 8x10, or getting a 2x15, or 2- 4x10's.

Were these peavey cabs short run then discontinued? I used to run this cab, my D-180, and my Pedulla MVP together. It was unreal.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Weren't they 412 TVX, or something? I used to play through one, and an SVT Cl. Massive sound. Are they not on Peavey's website? The one I used was about 5-7 yrs old. Under-rated cab, for sure.

3. There a guy who wanted to sell his for $500. I thought it was a bit steep, but def. A cab I want to get.

4. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I paid $400 used for mine back when I got it. I remember looking them up then and they were $600 or so new. Yes SEVERELY underrated. Bit of a pain to move around, more than my mesa powerhouse road ready. I remember like 129 lbs or something like that.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

The Peavey TVX 412 was one of the best 412s made. They didn't sell a lot of them during the golden age of 'Ten Inch Mania'! If they made an updated version that was of less weight they may sell decently. Powered by the Peavey VB-3 hmmm..... Just dreamin....

Rezdog

6. I spoke with a Peavey Rep awhile back about the TVX 412, and he informed me that they only made these cabs for a few years as a Professionnal series, but there was no market for it. He also informed me that there is no interest by Peavey to re-release these wonderful cabs. That's a shame too. They were great cabinets, but like Ledyard said, a pain to move around.

7. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I will take the PITA to move around. I would buy a pair on the spot if I knew where there were any. I would sell my mesa PH1000 cab to get them.

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    which leads me to......what else besides mesa and ampeg is good in the 4x12 market now? I dont want hi-fi necessarily, something that wouold sound great with a B1500 or a SVT kind of thing.

9. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I had one of those cabinets and they were pretty dark sounding .... even with the tweeter turned all the way up, and it was harsh sounding
    3762226719_673e0c541e.jpg

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Well you seem to be in the minority everyone else has said they sounded heavenly.

This guy just got one 2 weeks ago he started a thread he had a lot to say about it:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626018

11. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I tried using that cab for 5 years, with every amp in my collection ( Peavey Firebass 700, Ampeg V4-B, Traynor YBA-3A, Mesa-Boogie M-2000, Crate BT-350, Fender Bassman 1200 Pro ) and it just had a dark sound ...... no matter what you hooked it up to...yes, it would move a lot of air, but the mids on that cabinet were just muted, like someone put a blanket over it ... and yes it was a very heavy cabinet 135 pounds

12. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Yep, thats the cab. Maybe you had a lemon.

13. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I have one of those, but I have no way to move it around so it lives in the practice room. BTW...mine is a bit dark sounding as well. It can put out a massive amount of low end.

If you're the type of bass player who plays with ultra loud, heavily distorted guitars and is stuck playing really low notes because that's the only place left in the audio spectrum, this is the cab for you because it can do that VERY loud, which is not very common from most bass cabs out there. I guess that's the long way of saying this cab loves the low B.

Also, this cab can take an insane amount of power. I've abused mine a lot and it takes it well. I bridged a Crest CA-9 into it one time and it handled the peaks no problem (2000 watts).

14. I LOVE mine.

I consider it to be one of the best sounding cabs out there.

Imagine putting an 810 and 215 together and then chopping it in half and you have this cab.

It is a heavy SOB, but it is so worth it.

Hooked up to a Ampeg SVT, Sunn 300T, or any other tube amp this cab slays!!!

I'm looking for another one so i can run them as a full stack just once...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021